Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know if its the s52 or s54 z3m radiator that fits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know if its the s52 or s54 z3m radiator that fits?

Anyone know which Z3M radiator it is that fits the late e30's and is a 3 row radiator? The ones from the s52's (17111433025) or the ones from the s54's (17112227281) or both?
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

E36 M3 radiator fits (euro version, S50 engine) so if the Z3M has the same unit it'll fit..

Behr has a comprehensive dimension-list / catalog on their website .. ;)
    - E34 M5 (x 2) -
    - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
    - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
    - E46 318i Touring -
    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

That would be the 17112227281 from the s54's then.

Can you confirm it fits without modification? Probably best to run a 16" Spal pusher fan right?
      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

FredK is using the MZ3 S54 radiator in his E30
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

We should note that these fit into late e30's with the late radiators right? Anyone know what modifications need to be made to fit one in an older radiator style e30?

Comment

I think the only difference is the way it mounts at the bottom
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^^^ Correct, I have an 1998 M3 radiator in my 87 chassis car for mock up purposes. I drops in, no mods, using the rubber feet on the the bottom of the core support and a later, plastic style hold down at the top. The Z3M is the radiator of choice, though, since its a 3 row core. I will use the Z3M radiator at re-assembly...

Garey

Comment

Reading this thread it seems they switched the way the radiator is designed (smaller/lesser cooling ability) for newly ordered radiators:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Although that thread is from 2007, does anyone know if they are still doing that? Anywhere to get a 'new' original sized radiator?

Comment

If you want more cooling capacity, you could always pm me about a Mishimoto ;)

Comment

Corey, what radiators do you guys have to offer from mishimoto? Arent the aluminium e36 M3 radiators 2 row, would it also fit an e30 without modification? I have heard the X-line Z3M radiator mishimoto offers has 3 rows, but again I am unsure if it will fit like a stock z3m radiator. Unless the mishimoto radiators are 'exactly' the same dimensions as the stock units?

Comment

The e36 rads are two row, and I have one in my S52 e30 right now, drops in just like stock. Zero modification required. I'd expect the Z3 X-Line rad to be the same, except it's 0.9" thicker. Given where the M60 sits in the bay there should be more than enough room to accommodate it.

I'm not entirely sure you'll need a three row - I had slight cooling issues during hard driving / track use using an oem e36 / late model e30 radiator, but I just beat on the car up at the Dragon this weekend with the new rad and the temp always stayed one tic left of center. It was an extremely noticeable improvement. Granted, different motor. However, there was someone running an e34 540i at my last track day who claimed he had zero temp issues on factory components. Just food for thought.

Regardless, I can do much, MUCH better than the $440 list price for that radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by Corey@Track.One View Post
                        Regardless, I can do much, MUCH better than the $440 list price for that radiator.
                        Corey, how much, much better in price? I'm ready to get one of the X-Line, Z3M radiators and have a price already. Curious to see if you can beat it... PM me your price and we'll see if we can do some bidness, lol!

Garey

Comment

I ordered a -281 Z3M radiator from autohausaz with a 2010 production date. The core is thicker than a stock E36 radiator. It is the full width of the aluminum frame. I don't have any good full-on pictures, but I have a backup E36 M50 radiator in my garage which is definitely thinner than the Z3M radiator.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                            Corey, how much, much better in price? I'm ready to get one of the X-Line, Z3M radiators and have a price already. Curious to see if you can beat it... PM me your price and we'll see if we can do some bidness, lol!

Garey
                            Pm'd :)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                              I ordered a -281 Z3M radiator from autohausaz with a 2010 production date. The core is thicker than a stock E36 radiator. It is the full width of the aluminum frame. I don't have any good full-on pictures, but I have a backup E36 M50 radiator in my garage which is definitely thinner than the Z3M radiator.
                              You're running it in a s54 swap right? How is the temperature looking?

Comment

Working...
                              X