M106 turbo system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M106 turbo system

Who here has experience with the m106 turbo system? Specifically, routing of vacuum, breather, and oil lines? I have a box full of parts and I highly suspect I'm missing quite a few of the plumbing pieces, but it's hard to know by looking at engine bay photos on the internetz.

is this otherwise known as the Calaway K27 system early euro 735's had?
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

There are a few guys over on mye28 with 745s......may try there.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

^good call, I'll sign up and poke around

Comment

You may want to contact JoeMadoo.

Here is a link to his project.
          Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

I have one in my e34. Also HitManX in the e23 section on bimmerforums has a wealth of info on anything e23. Get a hold of him and tell him I sent you, he's a good guy.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
            Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Comment

Take a look at my album here: http://s110.photobucket.com/user/joe...?sort=3&page=1

Hopefully that will give you a few ideas. The vacuum isn't very complex, although I ended up not using many of the factory pieces. I really only used the k27 turbo, m102 manifold, and m102 wastegate. I do like the design of the factory recirculating setup but I preferred the sound of a BOV.
                '86 E30
                '05 E53 X5
                '72 Firebird
                '10 Prius
                '03 Tundra

Comment

Nice. Mind if I ask a few questions?

- What engine management are you using?
                  - Where did you tap in to your oil feed?
                  - The long black braided hose coming off the factory valve cover vent... where does it lead?

Comment

I don't mind at all.

I used MS1. Didn't bother trying to mess with the e23 ECU. Plus you can ditch the AFM and have full tuning capabilities and take advantage of a wideband o2.

I added a T off of the stock oil pressure switch location. So it feed my Oil pressure gauge and turbo. You can see it in my album.

The long braided hose went to my Air intake elbow, as that's the only place that will have vacuum whether or not you are boosting.
                    '86 E30
                    '05 E53 X5
                    '72 Firebird
                    '10 Prius
                    '03 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMadoo View Post
                      I don't mind at all.

I used MS1. Didn't bother trying to mess with the e23 ECU. Plus you can ditch the AFM and have full tuning capabilities and take advantage of a wideband o2.
                      Ya using the stock ECU is nearly impossible. I plan on using my current Miller setup with a new tune.

I added a T off of the stock oil pressure switch location. So it feed my Oil pressure gauge and turbo. You can see it in my album.
                      OK. My m106 setup came with a hardline that I think does to the oil filter... I still need to fit it to check.

The long braided hose went to my Air intake elbow, as that's the only place that will have vacuum whether or not you are boosting.
                      Any problems with that oil/air mixture going through the compressor? Did you add a catch can or anything?

Also did you start with an m102 or m106 engine, or did you use the b35?

Comment

OK. My m106 setup came with a hardline that I think does to the oil filter... I still need to fit it to check.
                        That should work too. I liked it being up top, just seemed more convenient.

Any problems with that oil/air mixture going through the compressor? Did you add a catch can or anything?
                        Not that I know of. Didn't use a catch can.

I have a '91 B35 with m102 turbo parts (maybe m106, cant remember). Also had my k27 turbo bored and rebuilt with a GT35-r wheel from "ecartoys". That helped reduce the boost lag and would eventually support more HP. I ran 10psi with a stock B35.
                        '86 E30
                        '05 E53 X5
                        '72 Firebird
                        '10 Prius
                        '03 Tundra

Comment

Did you need to cut the strut tower reinforcement for the wastegate, doesnt look like it in the pics?

Thanks

Comment

I ended up cutting it but I probably didn't need to... It's close, maybe a couple hits with a hammer would have been enough.
                            '86 E30
                            '05 E53 X5
                            '72 Firebird
                            '10 Prius
                            '03 Tundra

Comment

Have you got any pictures of that area

Comment

Working...
                              X