M106 turbo system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeMadoo View Post

I have a '91 B35 with m102 turbo parts (maybe m106, cant remember).
    So did you tap your head to accommodate the larger m10 exhaust studs used by the m102/m106 manifold?

Comment

So did you tap your head to accommodate the larger m10 exhaust studs used by the m102/m106 manifold?
      No I ordered some 8mm-10mm spacers from mcmastercar.

'86 E30
      '05 E53 X5
      '72 Firebird
      '10 Prius
      '03 Tundra

Comment

the oil feed hardline goes to a oil cooler-type oil distribution block, which has a fitting for it. There were several variants of them, one with a bigger filter, one with a smaller filter, and a e34-style one that points up at a diagonal instead of down.

you should probably ignore most of the IC piping and SMIC and do your own regular e30-style setup with a flipped TB. The SMIC is fiddly and too big for the space you have for it in an e30.. and it's not very efficient anyway.
        cars beep boop

Comment

I routed my hard line to the oil filter and ditched the SMIC for a much bigger FMIC. With the SMIC I was seeing temps as high as 50 above ambient, which is insane. The FMIC brought it down to about 6 or 7 above ambient on a warm day. Eventually wanting to flip the throttle but this works great for now.

I too am also running megasquirt, highly recommend it but is much less plug and play than the Miller system.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
          Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMadoo View Post
            No I ordered some 8mm-10mm spacers from mcmastercar.
            Spacers? Can you explain? I see the copper sleeves, but those long studs look like the stock m106 studs. The b35 studs are M8x1.25 and only about 1.5" long, which isn't anywhere near long enough.

edit: I get it now. What overall length did you get? And what size sleeve?
            Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 12-15-2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

those are just long M8x1.25 studs.
              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                the oil feed hardline goes to a oil cooler-type oil distribution block, which has a fitting for it. There were several variants of them, one with a bigger filter, one with a smaller filter, and a e34-style one that points up at a diagonal instead of down.

you should probably ignore most of the IC piping and SMIC and do your own regular e30-style setup with a flipped TB. The SMIC is fiddly and too big for the space you have for it in an e30.. and it's not very efficient anyway.
                Hopefully there are provisions on the e34 oil filter to hook up the hardline, otherwise I'll have to find other options.

Originally posted by ZenitramNaes View Post
                I routed my hard line to the oil filter and ditched the SMIC for a much bigger FMIC. With the SMIC I was seeing temps as high as 50 above ambient, which is insane. The FMIC brought it down to about 6 or 7 above ambient on a warm day. Eventually wanting to flip the throttle but this works great for now.

I too am also running megasquirt, highly recommend it but is much less plug and play than the Miller system.
                I agree the SMIC is not ideal, however there are a few things that make me want to keep it:

- I'm trying to go as OEM as possible, because I just like the idea of OEM+ builds.
                - I've got a 12" Spal to fit on the IC tied to a switch
                - I'm having it coated in a special heat rejection coating
                - I'm planning on installing a 2nd washer pump on my iX reservoir and running a sprayer on the IC, controlled by a momentary switch
                - With my A/C intact I doubt I have room to run piping for a FMIC
                - I'm only running 6-8lbs of boost and this car is a cruiser, not a canyon carver or track rat

Megasquirt would be cool, but I already have the Miller MAF/WAR setup so it will stay for now.
                Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 12-15-2014, 03:27 PM.

Comment

those are just long M8x1.25 studs.
                  ahhhh I see, something like these? http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=v1efmn

Comment

yup

also the e34 filter housing should have a boss on it that you'll need to drill & tap to get oil.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Right, and then get one of those flow-thru banjo bolts.

Comment

I will soon be ordering one of these for my project.
                        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Wow, that's crazy-expensive but cool too. I kind of doubt that the 1/8" fitting could flow enough volume to a turbo though. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post

There is nothing high strength shown there.

Here is a 10.9 grade threaded rod, i found 12.9 but was about 7X more expensive.

Bel-Metric sells metric hardware & specialty automotive supplies nationwide. Visit our website to purchase metric fasteners, nuts, bolts, Time-Sert kits & more.
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              Wow, that's crazy-expensive but cool too. I kind of doubt that the 1/8" fitting could flow enough volume to a turbo though. Thoughts?
                              it's fine, that's about the size of the feed line. pressurized fluid don't care.

you could score a complete oil cooler setup with distribution block for as much as that cap, and you want an oil cooler anyway with the turbo. don't forget the block-off setscrew that goes into the block.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                                There is nothing high strength shown there.

Here is a 10.9 grade threaded rod, i found 12.9 but was about 7X more expensive.

https://www.belmetric.com/trh8x125-c...?cPath=551_554
                                Is high-strength needed for this application? 8.8 doesn't seem too shabby.

it's fine, that's about the size of the feed line. pressurized fluid don't care.

you could score a complete oil cooler setup with distribution block for as much as that cap, and you want an oil cooler anyway with the turbo. don't forget the block-off setscrew that goes into the block.
                                True, those came on s38 and m102/m106 motors correct? I don't remember seeing them on standard m30s.

What's the block-off setscrew?

Comment

Working...
                                X