M106 turbo system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    True, those came on s38 and m102/m106 motors correct? I don't remember seeing them on standard m30s.

What's the block-off setscrew?
    they came on those and various euro M30 cars. here: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Setup-Complete

setscrew is p/n 11127539543, #22 in this diagram:

it's needed when you go from a regular B35 distribution block to a cooler-type block, plugs up a hole from an unused chamber in the cooler flange which becomes used when you switch to a cooler-type housing.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Would the set screw need to be removed if I were to drill+tap that boss for an oil feed?

Comment

it needs to be added, not removed. it will still need to be added. You won't get oil to that chamber with a stock non-filtered housing.
        cars beep boop

Comment

edit: I get it now. What overall length did you get? And what size sleeve?
          I meant sleeves. 8mm inside 10mm outside diameter copper. It fills the gap with the smaller studs and makes sure the manifold sits on perfect.

Can't remember the lengths.
          '86 E30
          '05 E53 X5
          '72 Firebird
          '10 Prius
          '03 Tundra

Comment

Awesome, I went ahead and ordered everything I need from McMaster. rant: I hate their website and online shopping tool so much. It's probably the worse thing I've ever used. No shipping prices, no shipping time estimates, nothing. Your choices are either Ground or Next Day Air, but they won't tell you how much either one costs. It's like a website from fucking 2001. Stupid. /rant

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              Is high-strength needed for this application? 8.8 doesn't seem too shabby.

BMW used a 10mm stud instead of a 8mm stud and they were both likely 8.8 grade. A 10.9 grade 8mm stud would get you closer to the strength of the 8.8 10mm stud that bmw used and seems like an easy, good idea to me.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Ya I'd love to see some pics too

Comment

How does the ICV connect when you've got a pressurized system? Normally it acts as a bypass around the throttle, feeding air from the intake boot to the manifold. But with the intake boot now pressurized (under load) is it safe to have the ICV routed in the same way? Can I just hook it up to one of these nipple and be done?

Comment

ICV really doesnt mind boost, and functions normal in boosted vehicles, route anywhere prethottle to post throttle
                    Last edited by kamotors; 12-29-2014, 11:39 PM.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Good to know. I'll have to make up an adapter bung but that won't be hard. Thanks!

Comment

What is the purpose of this hose, #2? It runs between the compressor housing and the wastegate.

edit: nevermind. I figured it out, it's there to control boost. On stock m106 systems it attaches to the magnetic valve which is essentially an electronic boost controller. So in my case I'll just plug the hole in the turbo housing, and install a manual boost controller between the manifold and the wastegate. Done.

Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 01-13-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I have a pipe with a flange for the ICV I had made for when I was running 1.3 before megasquirt. Also I didn't realize you were the same person doing the m30 turbo project that I just commented on in the project forum, but let me know if you'd like pictures of it. That way you could at least get some sort of an idea if you wanted to have it locally made.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
                          Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

Originally posted by ZenitramNaes View Post
                            I have a pipe with a flange for the ICV I had made for when I was running 1.3 before megasquirt. Also I didn't realize you were the same person doing the m30 turbo project that I just commented on in the project forum, but let me know if you'd like pictures of it. That way you could at least get some sort of an idea if you wanted to have it locally made.
                            Awesome, thank you.

I was reading through your BF.c thread and came across this pic. Do you remember the specs on the bung you had welded on? I'd like to go a similar route with my housing if possible. Also it looks like you have an adapter screwed in too. Was this an OEM part or aftermarket? Any chance you have the specs on that too?

Comment

I'll PM you.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
                              Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

I decided this was the best way to deal with the oil feed situation. Much easier and should still look pretty clean when done: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...&postcount=181

Does anyone have input on good spark plugs to use for this setup? Should I use stock m106 plugs, or try and find a colder m30b35 plug?

Comment

Working...
                                X