Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooling system works better with splash guard fitted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling system works better with splash guard fitted?

Hi all

Over the weekend I re-fitted the plastic splash guard under the engine and the front brake ducts, which I haven't run on the car in 3 years since doing my M30 swap. Surprisingly, the car now appears to be running cooler? This seems counter-intuitive to me as the guard restricts airflow into the engine bay and I'd left it off deliberately thinking that it would help with keeping the engine cool.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

The only thing I can think of is that by restricting the airflow under the car, the fan is actually working more efficiently as there's less turbulent air behind the radiator?

Cheers
    Luke
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    Hi all

Over the weekend I re-fitted the plastic splash guard under the engine and the front brake ducts, which I haven't run on the car in 3 years since doing my M30 swap. Surprisingly, the car now appears to be running cooler? This seems counter-intuitive to me as the guard restricts airflow into the engine bay and I'd left it off deliberately thinking that it would help with keeping the engine cool.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

The only thing I can think of is that by restricting the airflow under the car, the fan is actually working more efficiently as there's less turbulent air behind the radiator?

Cheers
    Luke
    This makes sense though. Fans are more efficient when they have a shroud as well. Apparently, the designers of cooling systems know what they are doing in spite of our best efforts to improve on them.

Since I haven't ever seen this splash guard you speak of, what does it look like?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I run the plastic shield as well under the belief that I have improved aerodynamics (and improved air flow into the radiator and being evacuated from the engine compartment).
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X