No announcement yet.

m60 vs s52 vs ford 5.0 vs LS1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M62 swap gets my vote. Not much more expensive than the s52 just more fab work. Stock m62 chipped should be close to 300whp with some bolt ons. Or you could opt for the m60b44 which would still be relatively inexpensive.
    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

LS1 by far.
      Lighter than a Ford 5.0
      Smaller, more robust and more powerful than an M60
      Not even comparable to an S52 which is a little bit lighter but comparatively anemic in the power and torque department and quite expensive to get good power out of.

There's a reason LS1s are so damn popular as a swap, nothing even comes close to the being as well rounded as an all-around package
      -small
      -relatively light
      -pretty powerful stock
      -loads of torque
      -easy to make big power
      -giant aftermarket
      -robust

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        LS1 by far.
        Lighter than a Ford 5.0
        Not even comparable to an S52 which is a little bit lighter but comparatively anemic in the power and torque department and quite expensive to get good power out of.

There's a reason LS1s are so damn popular as a swap, nothing even comes close to the being as well rounded as an all-around package
        -small
        -relatively light
        -pretty powerful stock
        -loads of torque
        -easy to make big power
        -giant aftermarket
        -robust
        Agree, wholeheartedly.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          LS1 by far.
          Lighter than a Ford 5.0

-small
          -relatively light
          -pretty powerful stock
          -loads of torque
          -easy to make big power
          -giant aftermarket
          -robust
          /thread
          88 325i Cabrio
          04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

I still am not in love with the LS. Its too expensive (compared to other options) and the purist angel on my shoulder (not a large voice but its there) doesn't like it.

I think I'm sticking with my initial gut and going with m6x when its time.

Comment

The way I look at it, is a BMW powered by anything else is no longer a BMW. I would go M60 for sure because German V8s are so unique.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L04 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brezzi View Post
                I still am not in love with the LS. Its too expensive (compared to other options) and the purist angel on my shoulder (not a large voice but its there) doesn't like it.

I think I'm sticking with my initial gut and going with m6x when its time.
                Originally posted by SGT StudMuffiin View Post
                The way I look at it, is a BMW powered by anything else is no longer a BMW. I would go M60 for sure because German V8s are so unique.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L04 using Tapatalk
                these are my sentiments as well.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by SGT StudMuffiin View Post
                  I suppose the dividing line here with LS swaps has a lot to do with brand fans vs non brand fans. I tend to like cars based on their individual merits and personal appeal to me and have little brand loyalty. If you like BMWs and not just a few of the cars they've made you're less likely to like the idea of an LS swap. To me it doesn't matter what the badge says, the car is all about its characteristics so I tend to favor improvement (subjective or objective) over purity. I'd rather drive a well sorted and LS swapped 325e sedan over a numbers matching all original M3 Sport Evolution.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Yeah, I was brand loyal to an extent. I wanted to go 24v or something similar when my engine goes, but I was thinking. I've heard of way less issues with ls motors than BMW motors. My desire for more power and reliability is greater than my desire for brand loyalty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                    88 325i Cabrio
                    04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                    If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

M/s6x should be very reliable if maintained.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

if you do the chain guides on a m62 it will be reliable. that is the weakest point. with garagistic doing there thing, the m60 swap is almost bolt in...

the only down fall to those motors is the bolts ons. slim to none.
                        M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

I love my S5x.

Comment

I'm not going to talk about the 24v. But of the V8's, LS no contest.

Even a 5.3 LM7 (270hp/315ftlb) would probably get you there(especially after intake/exhaust, or worse case throw a cam in it) and the local Upull yard is full of GM trucks/vans and charges $300 for a whole engine, so the only big cost is the transmission assuming you want a T56.

Sure if you're not in N.A. or are some sort of "BMW engine onry" purist, then the M6x makes sense, but otherwise fuck that based on aftermarket alone.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Looks like RHD released an M60 flywheel for a great price, had I known that was coming I probably wouldn't have started hoarding m20 parts!

I think M60 over LS, but only for E30s. There is a small weight difference in the engine and transmission that matters more to these cars than others. I don't mind a 40-60 lb hit in an E36 for a potential one or two hundred more hp. But 300+ hp is all an E30 ever needs, a stock M60 will last way longer than anyone will ever own the thing, and you can do it WAY cheaper when you go the 5 speed route.

I personally prefer hot M20s over S52s and chose to go that route, but both fit perfectly in the thin E30 unlike any V8 option- no headers too close to anything, no issues running any steering racks, access to anything that needs to be fixed etc. I would probably really like the S52 if they didn't write ///M Power on it, but that really bugs me which may or may not be why I'm voting M60. It may also just be the noise those things make.
                              Last edited by whitebulat22; 10-18-2016, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I have no hate for the LSx or non-OEM swaps, but to me the entire point of a BMW is the engine. Thus the "Motor" in Bavarian Motor Works.

S52 is the least pain in the ass by far, has better aftermarket than the M60, and it will get you to 250whp pretty easily while being more reliable. It seems like the most logical choice, which is also why it's one of the most popular swaps.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X