Body paint change vs value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body paint change vs value

I'm considering on doing a full respray on my e30 with an alternate paint code (still oem).
    Would you think this affects the value and appreciation over time?
    Yes: Why don't you love the Alpine White?
    42.31%
    No: do, a Calypsorot Metallic on your 325is
    19.23%
    Do what you want, it's a project car after all
    38.46%

On an m3, yes, on a run of the mill e30, no.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Depends on what you're starting with. If it's original paint that's in decent condition, then I think it could affect the long term value. If it's not the original paint or the paint is in poor condition then it won't matter. The only way I'd paint a car is to take all the trim off and all the glass out, and document everything, then again I'm super anal about paint work. I hate tapelines and engine bays/door jams that don't match.
      My Feedback

Comment

There's always a certain percentage of the owners who fetishize originality - to those owners, a color change will always be a negative. I'm one of those.
        1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Why not wrap it? Won't cost you much, if done right won't harm the paint and means you can enjoy the color you want and pull it off if you feel the need too.

Comment

If you're talking non-M3, value is of less concern with a color change than the cost to do it right. A good quality paint job that looks right is better than iffy original paint. Changing colors properly is more labor intensive than a repaint, that is what I'd consider the biggest concern. You won't get the money back either way, good paint jobs are $$$$
            Last edited by varg; 04-23-2017, 07:26 PM.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

If it's an original OEM color for the car, I wouldn't worry so much, especially if it was a respray of the original color on the car.

Honestly, just do what you want. If you're concerned about value, keep everything original or get some period correct wheels and do a respray in a factory option color. Some people consider it a huge negative if the car is resprayed. If it's a project that you don't really plan on flipping for a profit or whatever, paint it Dakar Yellow for all we care. Just have fun with it.
              "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
              The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKing View Post
                Why not wrap it? Won't cost you much, if done right won't harm the paint and means you can enjoy the color you want and pull it off if you feel the need too.
                Yuck... go buy a flat brim.

are you building it for you or the next owner.. unless its a MINT original car with a good story I say paint it whatever
                Boris - 89 E30 325i
                84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                  On an m3, yes, on a run of the mill e30, no.
                  ^^

Originally posted by 2mAn
                  The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

The the older cars (02's E9's, etc.) a bare-metal color change is pretty accepted (especially if the original color is boring).

Do what you want, but do it nicely.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                      The the older cars (02's E9's, etc.) a bare-metal color change is pretty accepted (especially if the original color is boring).
                      That's a good point, though I think a lot of that is because the older cars came with some pretty homely looking browns and yellow. Changing a car from silver to black is different.
                      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

if you decide to change the color in order for it not to look completely shithouse you must change the door jams, inside the boot, under the bonnet, in the engine bay. Essentailly you are best of stripping the shell completely and spraying everything.

And if you do that the amount of work required is astronomical compared to just respraying the external surfaces.

one because you have to sand and paint more surfaces, but when removing trim and rubbers you tend to damage things that could otherwise be re-used. Thus you need to buy new trim and rubber etc.

I just resprayed a mates first gen civic in a different colour, about half the size of an e30, and the amount of effort required in changing a colour PROPERLY is quite significant. When i resprayed my own car a few years back it was much less effort.

Comment

...at that point, you'd almost be money ahead to find a clean shell in the color you want.

I would have to agree with what is already said - it's not that people are being anal about originality, but more that look when you pop the hood and the engine bay is the OEM color while the outside is something completely different. Color changing a car is hard, and labor intense to do it and have it look good.

Wrapping a car is not a bad option if you get someone who can do it well. It allows you to test a color for a summer, and then you can always try something else or pull it off and have the car painted. You may decide that Technoviolet was a bad choice, but at least if it's a wrap you can pull it off and try something else...
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Calypsorot is definitely a lot less appealing than Alpine.

A full color change, well executed (interior/trunk/engine bay) will be "fine" from a resale value perspective. The bigger issue is that it'll cost you more than the car is worth.
                            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I don't see it hurting the value, but also I don't see the point. If you are starting out with an Alpine White car, but want a Calypso then just buy a Calypso. However if you want a color like Imola Red that never came on the e30 then thats a different story.
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                              X