Reviewed: Massive Side Mount Brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviewed: Massive Side Mount Brackets

I finally had the chance to install the Massive side mount brackets on my car. I have no pictures yet, but I will try to get some uploaded soon.

Pre-Installation:

It took me a while before I was able to pull a set of stock sliders to install these, but I finally got around doing so. For this case, I used passenger side sliders to bolt down the seat in the driver's position.

Before I got a chance to install these on my Corbeau FX1 Pros, I saw that Justin Good (JGood) mentioned to Massive that there were gaps on the mounts when using the Corbeau FX1 Pros, and Lee pointed out the need to use a bushing that can be found anywhere. So I ordered a set to tackle mine.

Installation:

This took forever, and it got much more expensive than I thought. It's not really Massive's fault, but I like things done right.

My main problem is that I wanted a seat bolted down in a reclined position. The FX1 Pro is useless at that. Not only does it leave the gap that JGood experienced, but it is also impossible to mount the back bolts of the side mount on the two bottom settings (out of the 4 available).

The reason why is because if you set the seat at Massive's lowest setting in the rear, the fiberglass of the seat will be in the way of the bolt that bolts on to the slider. The seat will completely cover the hole, making it impossible to bolt the seat + mount to the slider. On the 2nd lowest setting, the bolt will barely clear, but you still will not be able to get a nut through on the other end. The FX1 Pro was clearly designed as a bottom mount, with a courtesy side mount option.

Seeing how I was not going to be able to mount the Corbeau the way I wanted to, I moved on and purchased a Buddy Club Racing Spec seat from a local friend. The seat could be bolted down on it's lowest setting with ZERO clearance issues, which was pretty sweet. Not only that, but I had no need to use any bushings whatsoever to install.

Once the side mount brackets were bolted to the seat (and the sliders to the floor board), the seat sat perfectly flush when I dropped it in. I could not slide a business card on either end. I was a happy camper.

Test Drive:

Massive, if you're reading, this is my only gripe. This might be (although I think unlikely) different if driver's side sliders are used to bolt the driver's seat down, but the nut/bolt you provide to bolt the slider to the side mount in the front is too long, causing conflict with the handle for the slider. Right now I have trouble adjusting the seat. Since I'm the only one that drives the car, the seat won't be adjusted often, so it's not a big problem to me.

If I used the nut on the outside and the flat allen bolt on the inside, I might get the clearance I needed to not have any issues with this, but the seat was already in, and I was pretty comfortable.

Verdict:

Overall, I'm very happy with it. The Buddy Club seat with the Massive Side Mounts are night and day over the bottom mounted Corbeaus. It's nowhere near the same to get in the car with the crazy leg bolsters, but once I'm on the seat, there's no movement at all from side to side. I'd highly recommend this to anyone who wants a solid seat combo on a weekend cruiser or track car.

There are a few kinks to work out, which I'm still not 100& sure if it's all on Massive's end, but definetly better than a bottom mount seat.

- Erick
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Like Erick mentioned, I ran into some major fitment issues with the non-FIA approved FX-1 Pro. Lee mentioned the mounts are made for FIA approved seats, before I even purchased the mounts, so that was all my fault.

I ended up just using angle aluminum to hard mount them to the floor, and I'm actually happier now then I would have been with the sliders. The position is perfect, and I don't need to worry about the OEM sliders failing in a collision. And it's a VERY lightweight set up.

Yes, I know I need to put the angle aluminum below the carpet. I just needed a quick install for an autox, where it doesn't really matter if it's on top of the carpet.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

See, you mounted them with the nuts facing the outside by the door. Perhaps I should have done the same. Oops.
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Working...
      X