X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
    Just in the cylinder head:

-machined ports
    -one piece head casting (stiffer, no separate front cover)
    -super-simple and elegant VANOS. No more splines and cups. Huge range.
    -hollow cam
    -cam carrier
    -variable lift

I'm probably missing a few things...
    tapered rods, composite magnesium block, crank girder, electric waterpump..

the VANOS is pretty much indestructible BTW. At worst you might have to clean the solenoids once in a while or replace the screens if your engine is full of sludge.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Unlike the e36 engines lol
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        the VANOS is pretty much indestructible BTW. At worst you might have to clean the solenoids once in a while or replace the screens if your engine is full of sludge.
        The VANOS might be durable and able to withstand slacked oil maintenance but from Dan's video it looks like the VANOS piston rings are prone to digging into the groove on the intake side and ruining the head if there's poor maintenance.
        This doesn't matter to me though as I wouldn't have maintenance issues.

I think the N52 is the bees knees, I just dont see whats so radical about it. The only BMW engine I'd rather have in my 318is other than the N52 would be the N20.

Comment

240whp with headers, intake and tune!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

The bedplate design for the crank case is a huge advantage for an I6 engine. Im surprised it took BMW so long to implement. Without the nose of the crank dancing around at higher rpm there is much less chance destroying the oil pump (let alone main and rod bearings).
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              240whp with headers, intake and tune!

At the wheel, so about solid 260 hp with basic bolt ons, but it is not the HP that is impressive, it is the flat torque that starts way early

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                At the wheel, so about solid 260 hp with basic bolt ons, but it is not the HP that is impressive, it is the flat torque that starts way early
                Thats an impressive 8% drivetrain loss....

Ive been tempted to get a 128i lately because I really dont want to do swap the motor

Im guessing the 128i would need the intake manifold right?... I almost bought one a few years back but it was the SULEV which I think is different enough to be labelled a N53 or something

EDIT: Correction, its a N51
                Last edited by 2mAn; 06-09-2018, 09:37 PM.
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

lol. Stock N52B30OL is 255bhp, 265bhp in 3.0si form..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    Thats an impressive 8% drivetrain loss....

Ive been tempted to get a 128i lately because I really dont want to do swap the motor

Im guessing the 128i would need the intake manifold right?... I almost bought one a few years back but it was the SULEV which I think is different enough to be labelled a N53 or something
                    I offer a free tune for 128i to 130i (3 stage) swaps.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

lol. Stock N52B30OL is 255bhp, 265bhp in 3.0si form..
                      This is the difference between a 128i and the others that are 3.0si? or is there more to it

I offer a free tune for 128i to 130i (3 stage) swaps.
                      Is it hard to find the 3 stage manifold?...

this is the kind of stuff that I do when I WANT a distraction... Im supposed to be studying
                      Last edited by 2mAn; 06-09-2018, 09:37 PM.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

tapered rods, composite magnesium block, crank girder, electric waterpump..

I would not say indestructible, the early engines used tamper proof aluminum bolts to hold the gear to the adjuster that break off. There was a recall to replace the bolts with standard torx bolts. The crank is not keyed so the crank can spin out of time from the cams. The early cam seals had a fragile clip that could break and damage the head/exhaust cam carrier. The n52 is not a bad engine it just has its own unique issues. I'm not a fan of the electric water pump, but I think the only solution to that is a s55 block.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          This is the difference between a 128i and the others that are 3.0si? or is there more to it

Is it hard to find the 3 stage manifold?...

this is the kind of stuff that I do when I WANT a distraction... Im supposed to be studying
                          The engines are identical. Its just a different tune.

No, they arent hard to find. I paid $150 with DISAs.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The engines are identical. Its just a different tune.

No, they arent hard to find. I paid $150 with DISAs.
                            From what I've read the N51 has lower compression and comes with the DISA already... seems like an oddball
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

The N51 only came in SULEV 328's. But its good for harvesting the 3-stage from. :p
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                                The bedplate design for the crank case is a huge advantage for an I6 engine. Im surprised it took BMW so long to implement. Without the nose of the crank dancing around at higher rpm there is much less chance destroying the oil pump (let alone main and rod bearings).
                                the bed plate wont stop the crank torsionally flexing but the new oil pump drive system will dampen out the vibrations so the pump doesn't see as much of the vibrations
                                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                                X