No announcement yet.

No more MT BMWs in 2019 - and why I'll never buy anything past an EXX series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, you can't even order on generally if they haven't had the engine/transmission combo tested and rated. So I suspect that one will not be able to order M/T.

Comment

They've made that clear in the worldwide press releases, but given the massive list of 'individual' options - they'll even paint the car to match your handbag if you like! Then why not add the MT to the individual program on some models. Would keep the enthusiasts happy.

That said - maybe the next generation EVs are the answer for enthusiasts as pointed out?!
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
        Yes, BMW cares about its enthusiasts, but what should they do? Build a bunch of 6 speed manual 340's which nobody will buy new, let them sit for years and sell at a discounted rate to us?
        Yes. Of course. That's berzactly what I want them
        to do.

Silver, please!

Realistically, I find the e46 a bit too big, so a one series in 15 years
        will probably be a pretty good fit.

methinks.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by tinoe30 View Post
          Here's the competition. It's called the Mission E. Saw it at Rennsport Reunion VI at Laguna Seca 1 week ago today.

Vital specs:
          Range: 300 miles
          Top Speed: 155 mph
          0-62 mph: < 3.5 seconds

Talking with factory reps - to be priced to compete with Tesla

It looked killer....
          It looks like a tampon with wheels.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk
          R135 /// 1990 AlpinweiĂź II 325is
          └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
            It has a name now, called the Tayman
            They really put some effort into the name there, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
              Yea lol I hate it, wish they stuck with Mission E
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                Well they tried Boxman; Cayster; Cayamera; Pancan; Boxacan; Caymacan; Panster and Boxmera but didn't like them.

Aman; Payman; Dayman; Quyman; and Xayman they decided to save until the 2022 release of their all new hybrid-fuel cell-electric V4 truck-UV 3 door sedan targa-top convertible.

Comment

Originally posted by tinoe30 View Post
                  Here's the competition. It's called the Mission E. Saw it at Rennsport Reunion VI at Laguna Seca 1 week ago today.

Vital specs:
                  Range: 300 miles
                  Top Speed: 155 mph
                  0-62 mph: < 3.5 seconds

Talking with factory reps - to be priced to compete with Tesla

It looked killer....
                  It looks cool, and more variety is definitely good. But how is that in any way a Tesla killer? It's as fast as a Model 3 performance, but double the price? At best, they can't even match a car that Tesla was producing 2-3 years ago (Model S P1000D, which is still faster). And you can't even buy one yet anyway - mortals like you and I probably never will.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't know when the last time BMW dealers kept manual cars in their inventory besides a few M models. It's probably been 20 years. They've always been a very small percentage of sales and have to be ordered. It's nice they've kept the manual as long as they have, and it is still available on some 2019 models. It will probably continue to be offered until the entire lineup transitions to electric. Regular automatic transmissions will be gone as well. I agree though that it is unfortunate the manual gearbox is no longer offered in the 3 Series in North America, but the 3 Series is gone anyways. It's now nearly the size of an E38 7 Series.
                    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      It looks cool, and more variety is definitely good. But how is that in any way a Tesla killer? It's as fast as a Model 3 performance, but double the price? At best, they can't even match a car that Tesla was producing 2-3 years ago (Model S P1000D, which is still faster). And you can't even buy one yet anyway - mortals like you and I probably never will.
                      Cant exactly comment until its fully released, but as we talk about on these boards all the time 0-60 isnt the only thing, although I am suspicious on the 155 limit.

I have driven the S, its awesome, the speed is intoxicating, it doesnt handle great, its ok but not great, and it cant sustain those speeds, especially on a track. The batteries over heat and it cuts power, many articles talk about getting about one lap before its really is just a normal car.

Porsche, and again this is conjecture until the car actually comes out, is said to be able to sustain that performance on a track etc. I am curious how they will overcome the battery overheating.

Comment

I'm not sure about this Porsche, it could be just as bad, but Tesla uses performance as a gimmick and the performance of a Tesla is not to be taken seriously at all. Sure you can do a fast 0-60 run with it, but once things start to warm up it's back to slow boring electric car, and that's also all it can do (accelerate fast). If there's one thing I've learned about pulling a ton of current from a battery with an overpowered quadcopter or fast RC airplane it's that batteries get hot and voltage sags fast when you're testing their limits, and Tesla decided that pulling a single fast acceleration run for some good marketing numbers is good enough and completely neglected battery cooling relative to the claims of being a high performance electric car. Take a Tesla to a track and even if you're tailing a 1LE Camaro out of the pits you'll be getting passed by Miatas before your session is over. Porsche has a reputation for taking performance seriously, so maybe this will be an electric car that can actually do more than pull off a quick 0-60 time for the magazines and benchracers to swoon over. Tesla is marketing over substance, porsche is expensive substance with marketing. It's more balanced.

Read the full story here:http://www.caranddriver.com/features/tesla-model-s-p85d-at-lightning-lap-2016-feature

It'll probably also be built better than a Tesla, I've been reading about quality issues with them since the first ones hit the market.
                        Last edited by varg; 10-08-2018, 08:21 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

That is definitely true of the Model S. It seemed like the Model 3 was better in that regard?

Anyway, the real question is - can you get the interior made to match your purse? :p
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That is definitely true of the Model S. It seemed like the Model 3 was better in that regard?

Anyway, the real question is - can you get the interior made to match your purse? :p
                            Haha in a Porsche you can get your vents in leather to match your purse lol!

Talk about nickel and dimming on options, you can double the price of their cars with little bs like that.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              I'm not sure about this Porsche, it could be just as bad, but Tesla uses performance as a gimmick and the performance of a Tesla is not to be taken seriously at all. Sure you can do a fast 0-60 run with it, but once things start to warm up it's back to slow boring electric car, and that's also all it can do (accelerate fast). If there's one thing I've learned about pulling a ton of current from a battery with an overpowered quadcopter or fast RC airplane it's that batteries get hot and voltage sags fast when you're testing their limits, and Tesla decided that pulling a single fast acceleration run for some good marketing numbers is good enough and completely neglected battery cooling relative to the claims of being a high performance electric car. Take a Tesla to a track and even if you're tailing a 1LE Camaro out of the pits you'll be getting passed by Miatas before your session is over. Porsche has a reputation for taking performance seriously, so maybe this will be an electric car that can actually do more than pull off a quick 0-60 time for the magazines and benchracers to swoon over. Tesla is marketing over substance, porsche is expensive substance with marketing. It's more balanced.

Read the full story here:http://www.caranddriver.com/features/tesla-model-s-p85d-at-lightning-lap-2016-feature

It'll probably also be built better than a Tesla, I've been reading about quality issues with them since the first ones hit the market.
                              Yea that's one of the reasons they said its taking it so long to come out, they dont want it to be a one lap wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                                Yea that's one of the reasons they said its taking it so long to come out, they dont want it to be a one lap wonder.
                                I enjoy this thread but dang if I can’t comprehend most of what you post because of that damn Motorsport pic under your screen name.
                                My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                                I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
                                X