Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
    Dude.

How I'm just now seeing this build is beyond me. I've seen pictures of this car on the internet plenty of times.

Your persistent drive and wide range of capabilities is inspiring the say the least. I'd consider myself a fabricator type as well but I've admittedly gotten a bit lazy over the past few years so this thread is getting all the creative juices flowing again, so thank you for that. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread over the past few hours and think you should absolutely continue posting content in your detailed style, it helps others learn and get motivated to try new things!

Keep it up!

Sounds like the consensus is “steady as she goes”.

Works for me!

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      We have high expectations for this Christmas card
      This killed me. haha

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
        There's nothing this man can't handle.
        He's a Machine!
        ....building a machine!
        Sent to earth to inspire dreamers into action.

....or he's just another Vlad ;)
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Boring Saturday night. UFC on the tv and a stack of compressor maps.

Comment

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Been doing lame work. Not exciting stuff. Changing coolant lines from FWD configuration and making motor mounts. I want the (potential) option to shift the whole assembly forward a bit since the firewall clearance is tight.

FWD coolant lines:

Green= heater in/out
            Yellow= turbo coolant (interesting that in and out are on the same branch of the coolant pipe
            Blue= expansion tank
            Orange= oil cooler built into the side of the oil pan

New configuration:

Red= expansion tank
            Green= radiator lower hose
            Blue= turbo coolant in/out (I used the old oil cooler out from head and old coolant inlet on main pipe)
            Yellow= turbo oil pressure (banjo) and drain

Motor mount stuff (I used the C-clamp to put some compression on the mount. I can add washers if it compresses too much under engine weight)

Probable alternator location

Last edited by adam.nonis; 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

A little up pipe and down pipe work. Waiting on some stainless rod to come in to fab up a support for the turbo so the weight isn’t all on the up pipe. Also waiting on a bunch of fittings and line to show up from JEGS. Just chipping away.

I still plan on building a complete custom header with the flange that was graciously donated to me, but this way I can reasonably figure out a proper sized turbo before I spend a bunch of money on weld els. Budget first, upgrades later.

Comment

For new viewers just tuning in, to summarize....

We have a Volvo turbo inside a BMW inside a Volvo.

Carry on...

Comment

You can't assume the gender of a car. Even if its wearing BMW pants and a Volvo blouse.
                  m106 1990 e30
                  e36 daily
                  e32 cruiser

Comment

Wait, is this like the Crying Game? Who’s gonna be crying in the shower?

Comment

I don't get it either....

I ran across a guy named Canuck on TB - does a lot of 122 mods, sheet metal, engine swap, chassis swap, etc. Know that name?

Trying to learn what reasonable things can be done with a bored B20 vs swapping, and 122 suspension tweaks. You get so many opinions, from "Yeah bruh, I pro rally mine" to "These are POS tractors, get a Lotus!"

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                        I don't get it either....

I ran across a guy named Canuck on TB - does a lot of 122 mods, sheet metal, engine swap, chassis swap, etc. Know that name?

Trying to learn what reasonable things can be done with a bored B20 vs swapping, and 122 suspension tweaks. You get so many opinions, from "Yeah bruh, I pro rally mine" to "These are POS tractors, get a Lotus!"

I know of him. People like the B20. Very reliable. Carbs and points. The only thing I think that can be a hinderance to performance would be the stock carbs. I don’t know a ton about the stock engines. Pretty much everyone I’ve been around just swaps them right away.

Suspension is solid axle rear and dual a-arm front. The a-arms are pretty close together too, so I think you get some weird camber changes with articulation. Plenty of people race them, but mostly in vintage classes without doing big changes.

TL:DR I don’t really know much about stock 122s.

Comment

Few more things done:

-thermostat spacer to add an E30 temp sender for the dash gauge.

-upper intake spacer to clear taller injectors (S40 injectors are short and I’ll probably just run greens for now)

-hardlines for turbo coolant in/out. Had to order some different -10 fittings for the drain and still waiting on a straight -4 for oil feed as well as the time to weld the -4 and -10 steel fittings to the OE hardlines.

Oh, also added some 3/8” stainless bar to support the turbo

Comment

Made an oil pressure block for the dash light and ECU. I used nickel copper brake line. I welded a -4AN fitting to a turbo banjo line that threaded into the OE oil pressure sender port.

I added DEI titanium wrap to the up pipe to keep the gasses hot and keep all the other hoses nearby safe. I also added an 1/8” NPT port near the turbine inlet. My tuner says we can put a pressure sender there (with some tube to insulate from the heat) to get a feel for turbine sizing and pressure ratio (or something like that).

Comment

Not much to add, except I am jealous of you access to CNC machining. I have a vintage machine that's been a rough 3 year restoration project (it was the machine I learnt to program, as well as CAD/CAM over a decade ago), but is still inop at the moment. Miss the days of "take 1hr of CAD, 15min to pop out my custom on-off part" lol.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                                Not much to add, except I am jealous of you access to CNC machining. I have a vintage machine that's been a rough 3 year restoration project (it was the machine I learnt to program, as well as CAD/CAM over a decade ago), but is still inop at the moment. Miss the days of "take 1hr of CAD, 15min to pop out my custom on-off part" lol.

An older version of this machine is what I use. Simple, but most of the stuff I make is pretty simple too.

3 axis KL-6090 Desktop CNC Router (24 x 36 x 6 inch), Mach3 Ethernet Connection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8R6ZWE..._ZQ0.BbD6ZJXB1

Comment

Working...
                                X