Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jean View Post
    Hi Kevin,

I've experience oil starvation on the m10, it's quite easy to do but since the design of the e32/e34 pan is quite different I wanted to know if they suffer from it as well?

Do you know for a fact that they do?

Thanks.
    Yes, they do. The M30 was one of the first patterns we did -- look at our logo. Under prevailing lateral acceleration the oil simply backs up to the corner and sides -- the direction of rotation also blasts it along.

It is an inherent problem with the design of the tilted block. It is a problem with the Audi based engine in the Porsche 924, the Porsche 2.5 and 3.0, the Chrysler slant six, etc.

It is a difficult problem to address with static components and this is why BMW went to the dual pump system in the Euro S50.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
      Hi Kevin,

I've experience oil starvation on the m10, it's quite easy to do but since the design of the e32/e34 pan is quite different I wanted to know if they suffer from it as well?

Do you know for a fact that they do?

Thanks.
      I hope this is not a double posting -- my first attempt appears to have disappeared into the aether.

Yes, they do. It was one of the first designs we did -- look at our logo.

It is an inherent problem with the tilted engine design and particularly so when assisted by the engine rotation. It occurs with the Porsche 924 and 944 engine and -- if you road raced one -- the Chrysler slant six.

Comment

What a bummer :( Too bad I didn't know about this earlier as the engine is arleady assembled. Grrr
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Off topic -- This is very curious, when I look at the thread online the answers end where Jean asks if it really does happen in the M30 -- about 3-4 posts back now. When I try to answer his post directly I cannot view anything. When I now try to respond to the thread with a generic response I can see the missing responses below (if you scroll down).

Are others experiencing this?

I ask because I have posted on probably 200 different forums and this is the first time I have run across it. Maybe it related to something new about my browser.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerGress View Post
            Bringing this thread back to life because I'm interested in the baffle. New information has surfaced in the past yr because a guy connected an oil pressure sensor to his data logger. He found that his pump was sucking air on all left turns and many right turns. He was running an I-J crankscraper. One guy's experience isn't conclusive, but it's interesting.

This weekend is the first time out with a OP sensor connected to my data logger. Once it's calibrated, that will be another data point.

Up above a guy mentioned that E30's are raced with few oiling problems. I would disagree. We go thru a lot of bearings. I've done it twice. Now I run an Accusump.
            There are around 40 pro3 cars that use this baffle with zero oil pressure issues. I previously had a custom fabricated pan with a trap door, along with an accusump and was having pressure issues. I switched to a stock pan with the baffle installed and never see under 50 psi on track, monitored with my AIM system. The baffle just flat works. I reccomend it for anyone who tracks or races their m20. My two cents...
            Kevin Doyle
            KD Motorsports
            KD.Motorsports@yahoo.com
            9175 Willows Rd NE
            Redmond, WA 98052
            (425)556-9076

Comment

Originally posted by bmnut2002 View Post
              There are around 40 pro3 cars that use this baffle with zero oil pressure issues. I previously had a custom fabricated pan with a trap door, along with an accusump and was having pressure issues. I switched to a stock pan with the baffle installed and never see under 50 psi on track, monitored with my AIM system. The baffle just flat works. I reccomend it for anyone who tracks or races their m20. My two cents...
              this is not Internet bs.....I have one too. IT JUST FLAT WORKS. I was seeing under 10 lbs on a short hard lt hander over and over.......but now?...over 50.
              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                this is not Internet bs.....I have one too. IT JUST FLAT WORKS. I was seeing under 10 lbs on a short hard lt hander over and over.......but now?...over 50.
                That's good to know, I had been wondering if these were worth the money. Thanks for following up!
                1973 Bavaria

Comment

Originally posted by Brian D View Post
                  That's good to know, I had been wondering if these were worth the money. Thanks for following up!
                  My buddy Wes Hill is the guy that designed these for the Pro3 Group. I spoke with him today about a second run of the baffles. I wonder if there is enough intrest out there for a group buy?

I'm installing my second one in ten days next Wednesday. It will be the fifth one I've done in a year and a half. I'll shoot some pictures of the baffle and the install in the pan and post a group buy feeler with pictures.
                  Kevin Doyle
                  KD Motorsports
                  KD.Motorsports@yahoo.com
                  9175 Willows Rd NE
                  Redmond, WA 98052
                  (425)556-9076

Comment

If you could work M30 scrapers into the GB, I'd be in.
                    1973 Bavaria

Comment

Originally posted by Brian D View Post
                      If you could work M30 scrapers into the GB, I'd be in.
                      Sorry Brian, I know zero about crank scrapers for the m30, only baffles for the m20. Good luck!
                      Kevin Doyle
                      KD Motorsports
                      KD.Motorsports@yahoo.com
                      9175 Willows Rd NE
                      Redmond, WA 98052
                      (425)556-9076

Comment

Bump

Where are the crank scrapers available from? www.crank-scrapers.com is not working, which from previous threads seems to be where people were getting these from.
                        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                        e30 restoration and V8 swap
                        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Works ok for me, here is the BMW page maybe it will work for you:

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

I have one on my car, but it is hard to say where the results are coming from as I have an accusump, a very large oil cooler a remote mount oil filter and carry about 13Q of oil. So much oil in fact that I need an oil heater on the car to pre heat the oil before starting motor. With that said I am glad I have the scraper and would do it again
                            Brian Jacobs

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                              Works ok for me, here is the BMW page maybe it will work for you:

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/bmw.html
                              Nope, getting "Page not found".
                              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                                Nope, getting "Page not found".
                                Weird, must be an issue your ISP's DNS.

Not sure which one you were wanting info on but here is the info for the M20 version.

NEW! The M20 pattern is now a dual-scraper -- the added blade operates on the downstroke and shunts the oil to the side of the pan. M20 (L6): 2.0, 2.3, 2.5, 2.7 $89.95 [steel]; $189.95 [TeflonĀ®]

Steel

Teflon

trap doors
                                Last edited by whodwho; 06-05-2010, 12:38 PM.
                                My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                                4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Working...
                                X