No announcement yet.

What makes this so costly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah thats not worth it. I can see why people really dont do this swap.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

its not top of my list but we may be able to get started on it in the summer depending on my friends availability. Hes teaching me how to do it.

sigpic

Comment

What kind of s52 are you buying for $3500?? You can get them for <$2000 nowadays

Comment

i just did a quick search on ebay where are you seeing them for 2000

sigpic

Comment

Problem #1, you are trying to buy an engine for your swap from eBay.

FUN FACT: My complete s52 AND transmission were free.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
              Problem #1, you are trying to buy an engine for your swap from eBay.
              I think the OP should stick to buying everything for his car from eBay.
              88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
              We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by Titan_Omega View Post
                why would you need to rebuild it? With the other two swaps its you get it and install it. I understand the S5X engines are newer but would that really be the only reason? I am asking cause iv been looking around. Just bored. And i have seen there is a bit of custom work involved but rebuilding then engine? or did i not understand what you meant.
                Let's face it. The newest S38 available in the US was made in 1991, the newest S52 was at least 2000. These are old, tired engines now with high mileage. Seals need to be replaced, tensioners, guides, chains. Only idiots or those looking to make quick cash swap in engines fresh from the junkyard.

Would you spend all that effort to swap an engine that you were never certain of condition only to have it blow a week later?

S50/S52 are almost the same as their M50/M52 cousins. Parts are widespread and affordable. The swaps are hardly involving.

S38 is an old school, high performance, race bred engine from the factory. Parts were made in limited quantities. The swaps are more involving not due to wiring, but the physical size and shape.

Engine swaps aren't always about numbers. Remember that...
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

op have you ever looked at a turbo m30 swap its brutal reliable power i think good n tight on here is running like 700hp in his turbo m30 car and i don't think he spend 10k on it
                  88 325is Five Speed
                  Lachssilber

Comment

Either way, if you swap an engine, you need to rebuild it. Why wouldn't you if it's out of the car?
                    Yours truly,
                    Rich
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by Rigmaster
                    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Its the running cost, not the initial cost that you arent seeing.
                      sigpic

Comment

You can do the swap for less than 4-5k easy. Maintenance is just a bit more. The s38 costs more to maintain. That simple. It's not super crazy expensive unless you neglect to maintain it, then it becomes expensive.

Comment

As I replied to your PM, the hidden cost in my swap was and is (still) redoing and perfecting all the various custom components. Once it is finally running, the real money is spent perfecting and maintaining. And yes, running costs on the s38 alone can be significant. Need a new MAF? $800. ECU is $3-700...questionably used on ebay. Ignition wires and coil- $400. Valve adjustment if you do it yourself - $400+ for a stupid tool and tappet set. Proper oil and filter which needs changing annual at the minimum- $100

These are all basic things and the S38 is all about preventative maintenance to avoid major rebuilds. This preventative maintenance is MUCH higher than most swaps so it bleeds your wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                            Let's face it. The newest S38 available in the US was made in 1991, the newest S52 was at least 2000. These are old, tired engines now with high mileage. Seals need to be replaced, tensioners, guides, chains. Only idiots or those looking to make quick cash swap in engines fresh from the junkyard.

Would you spend all that effort to swap an engine that you were never certain of condition only to have it blow a week later?

S50/S52 are almost the same as their M50/M52 cousins. Parts are widespread and affordable. The swaps are hardly involving.

S38 is an old school, high performance, race bred engine from the factory. Parts were made in limited quantities. The swaps are more involving not due to wiring, but the physical size and shape.

Engine swaps aren't always about numbers. Remember that...
                            S38s were available up through 93 in the states. /semantics

Comment

Here is my good buddy Tom, he just rebuilt a s38 the RIGHT way.

He spent under 1k for the engine, last time I asked he has over 8k into the engine now. Not sure now that Vac had their hands on it and coming to the end of the build(last minute costly things).

You have no clue what is involved with just swapping an m20. How about you spend a year or so taking care of that?

I did a junkyard m30 swap, tore it down and did a complete reseal. It is about maintenance and taking the long road that is rewarding.
                              I am also the guy that built a 2,500 b27i stroker...gasp! that is more than most s50s. Or my brother's b28i with a m52 knifed crank? that is tipping into the 3,500 range.
                              Gotta pay to play kid/

I at the ebay search for engines.
                              Last edited by F34R; 05-21-2013, 10:51 PM.
                              ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                              ~ '87 535
                              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Why would you have steering rack and suspension issues??
                                We did this swap as the first project we've taken on ever, and it's not that complicated.
                                Hood can't cloose properly yes, but that can be solved without lowering the subframe.
                                The only problem we had, was the intake not fitting in the E30 engine bay.
                                But there's a difference in engine bay size, from E30 early model and late model. The early model engine bay is slightly bigger.
                                #ShenanigansE30 1989 Touring AC Schnitzer S3 replica http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=320784
                                Ruffian 1987 318is 2 door Hartge project http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=290863
                                Natalma 1990 Touring AC Schnitzer S3
                                #GlorianaE28 1986 525i
                                #AnniePowerE34 525i 3.2 M50 with AC Schnitzer S5 parts
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X