Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swapped from 525 DME to 173, now no start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapped from 525 DME to 173, now no start?

I realize this is more of a general technical question but hopefully I can get a quick confirmation of my thoughts here in general discussion. Car is a '87 325is, up until now running fine with a 525 DME, almost completely stock, with the exception of a Magnaflow catalytic converter.

I recently purchased a used 173 DME with MarkD chip, and some rebuild 19.5# Mustang injectors from 2 members here. After installing said parts yesterday the car would not start with the chipped 173 DME, but swapping back to the 525 it starts and runs.

Here are my questions;

1. Do both DME's run motronic 1.3?

2. If "no" to question 1, I should still be able to swap from a 1.1 motronic DME to a 1.3 on this vehicle with no other additional parts, correct?

3. Am I accurate in speculating that the 173 DME may be faulty, and should be swapped for a known good unit, or should I look elsewhere first?

Any input would be appreciated, in the mean time I'm going to keep doing research myself.
    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
    You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

1.1 / 1.3 153 / 173 / 380 / 525 etc all plug in and run on an i harness.

Have you tried the Mark D chip in the 525?

Comment

Yes. The chip in the 525 seems to be soldiered in place, I didn't want to damage my working DME to try to fix what may be a broken one.
      You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

The 525 shouldn't be soldered in place, the 153 is usually the one that is. I have a stack of them and would have to look again, but I had a 153 for a long time that if I recall I left stock as a control one. The 525 was a later version I thought that came in the iX's specifically.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Interesting. Definitely soldered, and the case is labeled 525.

Comment

525 Chip

I recently replaced the chip in my 525 ecu with a Sssquid one. The ecu was in my 1993 e30 conv. It's my understanding that the 525 ecu was made after the 173 ecu. No problems yet.
            Hard to believe yours was soldered in.

Comment

173 DME is bad for sure or chip is bad

Comment

there's little (if any) physical difference between a 525 and 173. Certainly, it didn't come with a soldered chip.

FYI, the 5XX Motronics were for California emissions cars, it's not so much an 'early vs late' thing. Not sure of the exact differences but likely just minor tuning changes.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  there's little (if any) physical difference between a 525 and 173. Certainly, it didn't come with a soldered chip.

FYI, the 5XX Motronics were for California emissions cars, it's not so much an 'early vs late' thing. Not sure of the exact differences but likely just minor tuning changes.

Damn that's kinda interesting, never heard of that.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                  1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                  1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                  1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                  1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                  1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                  Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                  1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                  1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

The 525 has a top speed limiter at 128 mph.

Found it when I went from 50 to 45 series tires on the Pro3 car...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

ah, yes it does - I remember that now. Even with a chip, my car still had it - probably because whoever tuned my 'bavauto' chip didn't know how to disable it.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I just unhooked the vss from the ecu- nothing bad seemed to happen after that.

Hmmm.... maybe that's why that car's so slow, now... ;)

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Added a wrinkle to the brain today!

Fun fact: the 153 is an objectively better tune than the 1.3 stuff. Better power, better economy. Only downside is harsher on/off throttle. Sssquid confirmed this after my butt dyno got curious.
                          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                          X