• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Load Rating (84)

Im looking at tires in the following sizes:

205/40r17
    205/45r17
    215/40r17

and all i can find have an 84 load rating.

The stock recommended size and rating are 195/65r14 and have an 89 load index.

Am I safe to run an 84 load tire long distance? I plan to drive Maine to Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itsonlygeorge; 09-01-2018, 01:17 PM.
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Are you ever planning to load your car up past 4400lbs? If not than you are probably okay
    88 325is Five Speed
    Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
      Are you ever planning to load your car up past 4400lbs? If not than you are probably okay

8 pairs of skis, and a packed car for a 2400 mile trip? Yeah.

Also, it’s about the sidewall being able to take the weight of the car as it corners without blowing out.

sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Comment

Your car probably weighs ~2,800lbs. With 4 200lb passengers that would leave you with 800lbs for luggage before reaching 4,400lbs. I don't know if you could fit 800lbs of stuff in the trunk of an E30 without filling it with silly objects like cast iron cylinder heads or bags of cement. You certainly shouldn't be attacking Corners in a heavily loaded car in the snow so I don't think you'll have any problems. If you are really concerned about this, consider getting a set of smaller wheels and putting some tires of the proper load rating on them. I can't imagine low profile 17s are the best for a long trip which will involve snow.
        Last edited by varg; 11-17-2018, 05:47 PM.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 1-26

Comment

I’m looking for 215/45r17 winters. I think I can fit them with stock springs.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X