Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both of them show a 3.5bar regulator.

Comment

Great chip if anyone's thinking about it and not sure yet. Do it. You will be glad you did.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

When not stomping on the gas all the time, did anyone notice how much more efficient the chip made the car run/consumption?
        Einige Autos dürfen nicht runter gehen... einfach weil sie so spezial sind. - Wenn man von BMW's der '70 und '80 Jahre redet.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M-TRD3
          When not stomping on the gas all the time, did anyone notice how much more efficient the chip made the car run/consumption?
          It could be the fact that I did stomp the gas a bit more often, but my mileage dropped about 4mpg avg. after the chip swap. I had a JC chip before, running the 93 octane MD now.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

I have the custom m30/ injectors, 91+ octane chip. It is great!
            Yours truly,
            Rich
            sigpic
            Originally posted by Rigmaster
            you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

What's the difference between these high priced chips and the far less expensive clones?
              sigpic
              1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
              Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
              Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

Any comparison with the Dinan chip? Very disappointed with the JC chip i was considering after seeing it actually lost horsepower over a stock one.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Cabrio View Post
                  What's the difference between these high priced chips and the far less expensive clones?

They are not high priced, the others are just low priced since someone is copying a good chip and selling it, without the development costs invested to create a good chip. With a clone chip, you can't even be sure what it's a clone of. One reason that some of the chips I had planned to release in 2006 were not released is because I know people have cloned some of my chips. That's why there was no MAF conversion chip released (it was planned for July 2006). That's also why I have not released an s14 chip, even though a version for the 2.5l s14 has undergone a lot of testing on the racetrack and won a few races.
                  URL: www.dsylva-tech.ca

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
                    They are not high priced, the others are just low priced since someone is copying a good chip and selling it, without the development costs invested to create a good chip. With a clone chip, you can't even be sure what it's a clone of. One reason that some of the chips I had planned to release in 2006 were not released is because I know people have cloned some of my chips. That's why there was no MAF conversion chip released (it was planned for July 2006). That's also why I have not released an s14 chip, even though a version for the 2.5l s14 has undergone a lot of testing on the racetrack and won a few races.
                    Would you mind making a break down of the costs in developing your chips? If you'd like to take it to PMs, that's fine, i don't mean to shit on your product by any means because people are buying it and they're all very satisfied with it. But i think your price is just a tad high, seems to me the cost in developing it would be around $50 for a chip burner (maybe up to $200 for a really good one), the time you spent on a dyno adjusting the maps, i'm not sure what you used for software, perhaps wrote your own? And $5ish for a chip. I'm no chipping expert, but you should've made close to your money back in the first chip, the rest would be profits, i'd love to buy one of your chips, but $250 is just way too much IMO, i'd gladly pay $100-$125 shipped however. Might make a little more, i'd be less inclined to want to buy a clone and i'm sure others would feel the same way.

Comment

I understand that time and money goes into R&D, but the clones are pretty much the same thing as the "real" chip, aren't they?

I also understand the position the vendors are in, as they spend the time and money to develop the chip, but if someone copies their work and sells it, it's the same chip, right?

Also, we see the perfmance gains exaggerated by some vendors as well.

Does vendor post the real numbers/gains that these chips produce?
                      Last edited by E30 Cabrio; 12-30-2006, 03:01 PM.
                      sigpic
                      1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
                      Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.

Comment

They're no different, it's just the moral issue, it's basically like copying a CD, they make a mirror and burn it to a chip.

I'd spend the extra for the real deal if it didn't cost so damn much.

Comment

Originally posted by O 16581 72452 5 View Post
                          They're no different, it's just the moral issue, it's basically like copying a CD, they make a mirror and burn it to a chip.

I'd spend the extra for the real deal if it didn't cost so damn much.
                          At what point is the R&D invenstment returned, and at what point is the customer getting gouged?

$200+ for a chip sounds a bit excessive, not to mention, they would sell a lot more of them if they cost $100.00

Perhaps their marketing research says different, but logic says make the price affordable to all,and you will sell more product.

It's a matter of principle than price for me though.
                          sigpic

Comment

I really don't think $200+ for a chip is unreasonable at all. Thats what the JimC chip has been going for for a LONG time and it used to be the "best" out there.

Will
                            RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                            Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                            DaveCN = Old Man
                            My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                            If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

I know what they cost, and that's why i don't own one. If they were $100 like they were worth IMO, i'd gladly fork it over.

Comment

Well... then you dont own one lol. Save up the dough.

Will
                                RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                                Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                                DaveCN = Old Man
                                My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                                If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Working...
                                X