Massive Lee's Race 11.75" BBK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive Lee's Race 11.75" BBK

I purchased to kit because it fits the 15" TD Pro Race 1.2. No surprises there. Lee shipped me the hardware, including the required spacer (3 mm spacer is required). Rotors, pads, and calipers (forged superlites) were drop shipped from wilwood. I had to purchase longer lug bolts on my own.

Installation requires removal of the heat shields, and cutting a small tab, as advertised. The shield must be cut and ripped out; I opted to leave it in, and simply cut out a piece of it. Lee strongly suggested that I remove it, and I will probably get to it.. eventually.. maybe before I hit the track in the spring.

I initially thought that my brake-lines (OEM spec SS) were too short, but they are actually just long enough (don't thread the line straight into the caliper, use the 90deg fitting.. NOT OPTIONAL!!).

What else... ah.. yes.. the ABS sensors trap metal shavings. The ABS system was misbehaving until I took the sensors out and cleaned them. I used compressed air to blow out any crap still left in there.

The Wilwood E-compound pads I got grip just fine when cold, but they are amazing when warmed up; unfortunately, they get extremely noisy and I couldn't live with it. I just installed BP-10 compound pads; the noise is gone, but braking isn't very exciting anymore.. Oh well, it's a trade-off; they are a lot more comfortable.

The kit is rather expensive, but it is good quality. The caliper bracket is stainless steel. There is no guessing how many spacers you'll need. Everything's made to bolt right up, no optional or left over parts. I only wish it didn't require cutting; the shield is missing a retaining screw now. If you wish to go back to stock, you'll have no heat shield.

I bought a 11.75" Front Sport kit from Lee for my 318is.
    He was very helpful about getting the parts I needed.

The kit was easy to put on. Fit like it should. I got the street pads from Wilwood and am happy with them, they need time to warm up but work great.

Best part is they fit behind my 15x7 et27 K1s with no spacers.
    Only gripe is because of my wheels the calipers needed a little bit ground off the corners.
    Sucks grinding on your brand new calipers but it was worth it.
    Now I just need to learn to drive it better.

Hunter
    We're out there in here.

Comment

^So you took a grinded down the calipers of your new brake kit rather then running a 3mm spacer?
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I think you must bed in the pads. Mine performed poorly and squealed a lot until bedded in.

"To bed-in your brake pads, begin by applying the brakes at low speeds to assure proper system operation. On the race track or other safe location, make a series of hard stops from moderate to slower speeds. Gradually, increase the speed and the braking until the pads reach a hot racing temperature. If your car has brake cooling ducts, you may want to close them to hasten the process. If any brake pad fade is experienced during the bed-in, immediately begin the cool down process. Drive the car at slow to moderate speeds while the pads begin to cool, and be sure not to drag the brake pedal. Pit or park the car with minimal brake use and allow the brakes to finish cooling before subjecting them to race conditions. This procedure will minimize pad wear and maximize friction values over the broadest possible temperature band. "

Comment

Working...
        X