R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Car Audio & Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #31
nando
Moderator
 
nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bellingham, wa
Posts: 33,770
nice job. the only thing I don't like about it is needing all those modules. I still want to find an early E36 drivers window motor and see if I can make something work with the E30. The earlier system is much simpler, it just doesn't work on the other windows. But if I can make one window work, I can make them all work.

I'd like to do this on the sunroof though (the E36 circuit won't work). How well does it work? for both pop-up and all the way back?

think I could put the modules in the doors instead of the center console? it's already a bit cramped in there.
__________________
Build thread

Bimmerlabs
nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #32
Wh33lhop
R3V OG
 
Wh33lhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: yay area
Posts: 11,697
Yeah you're pretty much awesome. I've got a bunch of one-touch E36 switches (two green base and 4 small white base) lying around that I thought I was going to have to resell.

What's the deal with 4-doors? Will the fact that there are two window switches for each rear window complicate things?
__________________
paint sucks
Wh33lhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #33
nando
Moderator
 
nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bellingham, wa
Posts: 33,770
I don't think so, unless you wire up the rear switches differently they would just operate the window as if it wasn't one-touch?
__________________
Build thread

Bimmerlabs
nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #34
StereoInstaller1
GAS
 
StereoInstaller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Centralia, WA
Posts: 22,679
Oh, I got it...relays will be out, boards modded shortly.

In fact, I may steal your idea and run with it!

I do need to figure out how to get that "2 window" module to separate its activation input, so it would act as 100% individual activation, then make some way to install them simply...I want 1 touch up and down, auto-close, temp vent, the whole enchilada. I have a couple of modules sitting around, so I am really tempted to get into them now.
__________________

Closing SOON!
"LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!
StereoInstaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #35
Wh33lhop
R3V OG
 
Wh33lhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: yay area
Posts: 11,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
I don't think so, unless you wire up the rear switches differently they would just operate the window as if it wasn't one-touch?
Right--I guess you will just need another module if you want to wire the rear switches to be one-touch as well.
__________________
paint sucks
Wh33lhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #36
nando
Moderator
 
nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bellingham, wa
Posts: 33,770
yeah, nobody ever sits back there (well sometimes when work people come to lunch) so I don't really care.
__________________
Build thread

Bimmerlabs
nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #37
yanal
Wrencher
 
yanal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
nice job. the only thing I don't like about it is needing all those modules. I still want to find an early E36 drivers window motor and see if I can make something work with the E30. The earlier system is much simpler, it just doesn't work on the other windows. But if I can make one window work, I can make them all work.

I'd like to do this on the sunroof though (the E36 circuit won't work). How well does it work? for both pop-up and all the way back?

think I could put the modules in the doors instead of the center console? it's already a bit cramped in there.
i have one of these modules in the sunroof and it works great, press once it closes all the way, then press it again and pops up, i just need to get my hand on another E36 switch so i can swap it, and really all the modules fits nicely under the console next to Ebrake, no need to run extra wires to the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh33lhop View Post
Yeah you're pretty much awesome. I've got a bunch of one-touch E36 switches (two green base and 4 small white base) lying around that I thought I was going to have to resell.

What's the deal with 4-doors? Will the fact that there are two window switches for each rear window complicate things?
you have to cut different traces in the white base switches, i was playing with the switches in my 99 convertible M3 and realized they are different, the ones i used were out of a 95 M3, and its a bit tricky with the four doors, the proper way would be to run wires from switches (front and back) to one module, but you can leave the rear switch untouched and it'd work normally like it did before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
Oh, I got it...relays will be out, boards modded shortly.

In fact, I may steal your idea and run with it!

I do need to figure out how to get that "2 window" module to separate its activation input, so it would act as 100% individual activation, then make some way to install them simply...I want 1 touch up and down, auto-close, temp vent, the whole enchilada. I have a couple of modules sitting around, so I am really tempted to get into them now.
yes sir, just mod the board, look up the data sheet for the relays, find the coil pins, use the trace coming from the transistor for individual activation, maybe i'll buy one of these boards for my other E30 if i didn't end up designing my own.

Yanal
yanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #38
Wh33lhop
R3V OG
 
Wh33lhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: yay area
Posts: 11,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanal View Post
you have to cut different traces in the white base switches, i was playing with the switches in my 99 convertible M3 and realized they are different, the ones i used were out of a 95 M3, and its a bit tricky with the four doors, the proper way would be to run wires from switches (front and back) to one module, but you can leave the rear switch untouched and it'd work normally like it did before.
Yeah the small white base are also only auto-down, so I'm not going to bother. Do you know offhand what year E36 the green base came off of--just 95s? I've gotta go gank some more from a junkyard now.
__________________
paint sucks
Wh33lhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #39
yanal
Wrencher
 
yanal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 248
Not all green based ones are auto up/down, the passenger side out of the 95 was auto down only, and the sunroof one isn't auto both ways, I believe the same is for the white ones, some auto and some aren't, I'll look into it and I'll let you know, and I honestly don't know off hand about the years that had the green ones.

But if you have two switches that are auto down only, you can take "the down" button out of one of the switches and put it instead of "the up" button in the other switch, did I make sense ? Lol basically you should have an auto up/down switch out of two auto down only switches.

Yanal
__________________
Sticky:True e36 one touch windows DIY

1990 M3
1992 Mtech (S50 + 5 Lug)
yanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #40
bubbajan21
E30 Mastermind
 
bubbajan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanal View Post
if you guys like i can do them for you, just ship the switch, connecter, and the module to me in a small priority box with a return label and i'll do all the electrical wiring for you, plus i can add small connectors to it and label all the wires with the colour of the wires you need to connect to in your E30, so once you get it back, you only need to splice 4 wires, just include $10 per window/sunroof, i'm not trying to make living out of this just little something for my time.
So if I decide that I want you to do this for me for both driver and passenger windows, I would need to include in the box:
A return label
2 of these:

2 of these:

and one of these:


Is that correct?
bubbajan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #41
yanal
Wrencher
 
yanal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 248
..
__________________
Sticky:True e36 one touch windows DIY

1990 M3
1992 Mtech (S50 + 5 Lug)

Last edited by yanal; 04-28-2016 at 10:17 AM.
yanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #42
bubbajan21
E30 Mastermind
 
bubbajan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanal View Post
That picture of the $20 bill made LOL , and yes that is correct, but again if you wanna buy a soldering iron and a multimeter with that $20 I can walk you thru the steps, it's really easy.
I might just take you up on that. I'll pick up some switches and do it with your guide. As long as I know what wire goes where, I can solder no problem. I'll ask you if I have any questions. Thanks so much for making this DIY guide, and welcome to R3V!
bubbajan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #43
bernzpeed
No R3VLimiter
 
bernzpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Walnut Creek
Posts: 3,917
lol
__________________
Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
---------------------------------
89 E30 S52
---------------------------------
Transaction Feedback.
bernzpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #44
jrobie79
R3VLimited
 
jrobie79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2,420
Send a message via AIM to jrobie79
what module are you using? link? stuck on my phone so its a pain in the ass to read every little post and then try to search
__________________
1991 318is ---230K - DD
1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSloan View Post
so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?
jrobie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #45
yanal
Wrencher
 
yanal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobie79 View Post
what module are you using? link? stuck on my phone so its a pain in the ass to read every little post and then try to search
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BT...1107952&sr=8-1
__________________
Sticky:True e36 one touch windows DIY

1990 M3
1992 Mtech (S50 + 5 Lug)
yanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC