Herp de derp M60 in progress - track day complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herp de derp M60 in progress - track day complete

Im going to start putting more detail in this post for some record keeping, and shorten my original build thread. Browse on through to see the action on my car pre-swap.
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358716

'88 SETA, made 140hp/150ftlb on the dyno. M20 has been knocking a little when cold, but its survived ~10 track days.

Ready for some power.

M60b40 from a '95 740iL. 118k miles, looks clean. Nikasil, but leak down passed so I'm going for it.

Valves look good

Injectors are nasty, got them rebuilt by MEPEH. This is my second time using them, I highly recommend, lit af service.

Most pictures ive seen didnt have this insulation garbage. Ended up gluing itself to a water pipe.

Gross

Valley pan is super clean

This is why you replace everything. All 4 knock sensors were like this.

All the bolts for the throttle body were seized. Vice grips and a grinder get them off, i replaced them with same length hex socket head cap screws.

I bought this motor from someone who had a shop refresh the motor, but then had to stop the swap. The shop liked silicone. No gasket on this BRAND NEW WATER PUMP, just silicone. Didnt replace the water pipe o rings either, just added some silicone.

Gunk. All 3 cases were like this.

Guides and chain looked fine. So I will be replacing them

Jesus bolt took 10ft of pipe, the crank holder tool, and 20min of heat on the bolt head.

Cases finally off

Cases cleaned off by hand with a brush and gods fluid, brake clean. Still got some really hard deposits.

Parts all the time
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Looks great man. I'm subbed. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I was between 5.0 and m60 swap and ended up choosing 5.0. You'll probably end up making me regret it eventually. Can't wait to see what you have in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

wow in for the donuts.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
        wow in for the donuts.
        Original bottle caps will get smoked for sure ;)
        We're in deep now boys
        1988 340iL - Track car
        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

I'm excited to follow your progress.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

gotta represent
            We're in deep now boys
            1988 340iL - Track car
            [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

How is your battery crossover cable run? It looks like you have one going up to the positive block on the drivers side valve cover, and then the one going through the metal tube to the back of the alternator.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                How is your battery crossover cable run? It looks like you have one going up to the positive block on the drivers side valve cover, and then the one going through the metal tube to the back of the alternator.
                If you look at the picture, that cable goes from the alt, into the black tube, around the inside of the head there and comes to the battery terminal from the back. Heres how to comes up to the battery terminal:

There's also another cable thats also in a tube that runs under the oil pan.
                We're in deep now boys
                1988 340iL - Track car
                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

More update

A couple pictures that are out of order, but I like.

Rebuilt/flow matched/painted injectors from MEHPEH. Sexy.

This is how clean i got the timing cases after some chemdip time:

Timing chain and guides all done.

Cut the oil block. Easier than I thought. I was planning on using the X5 block to make it cleaner, but this was free and I'm already over budget.

I got a M62 dual mass flywheel with the motor, but it would need a resurface which no machine shop i know of will do.

I will be using the TTV conversion flywheel and most likely a S52 stage 2 Southbend clutch.

And I decided on good ol Bosch replacements for plugs. Seems like a minor decision, but I think about everything I put on this car, often times too much.
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

I love the color on the valve covers

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
                      If you look at the picture, that cable goes from the alt, into the black tube, around the inside of the head there and comes to the battery terminal from the back. Heres how to comes up to the battery terminal:

There's also another cable thats also in a tube that runs under the oil pan.
                      Thanks!

BMW must have made multiple as I just pulled one from an E34 540i/A that is set up in a T configuration with one side going to the B+ junction on the firewall, the middle going to the starter, and the other end going to the alternator. Damn thing wasn't easy to pull.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Fight, start!

Core support basically ready to start getting cut out. Waiting on some spot weld bits, and I think my grinder is toast.
                        We're in deep now boys
                        1988 340iL - Track car
                        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Got the core support out. One of the things i've been worrying about, as I haven't cut one out before. I tried drilling out the spot welds, but ended up just grinding/sawzalling it out.

This and the brake lines/ABS relocation are my big worry points, and its really nice to have one of those things done. Need to get rid of the old motor now.
                          We're in deep now boys
                          1988 340iL - Track car
                          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

why do you have to relocate the abs? are you worried about interference with the oil filter housing?

if thats the case, its probably easier to make 2 new lines for it and install it somewhere else rather than 6 or 8 for the brakes.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                              why do you have to relocate the abs? are you worried about interference with the oil filter housing?

if thats the case, its probably easier to make 2 new lines for it and install it somewhere else rather than 6 or 8 for the brakes.
                              i'm using the willwood manual brake conversion, and my understanding was that the ABS gets in the way of the filter housing. now im confused...
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                              X