91 318is/ LS Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick_08 View Post
    Yeah I have had no problems with it. I just installed a wilwood 7/8” master for the clutch hydraulics and while I had the pedal assembly out, I drilled a new hole in the brake pedal. The hole is about 1/2-3/4” higher than the stock location. Hoping this will make the brakes a little bit lighter.

They were fine before though, takes a bit of force on the pedal but I could stop in a hurry. FYI I did install hawk hps pads on all corners. Stock calipers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get the Chase Bays brake lines too?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubesock View Post
      Did you get the Chase Bays brake lines too?

Yes.

-Nick

Comment

Did you eliminate the ABS?

Comment

91 318is/ LS Swap

Originally posted by Tubesock View Post
          Did you eliminate the ABS?

Yes. I opted for a simple and clean install.

-Nick

Comment

So I realize after I did the Z3 rack swap I didn’t take a single picture. Good news, I did something wrong when I did it so I’ll have to redo it and I’ll take pictures this time. The issue is the rack isn’t going back far enough to sit in the proper hole on the subframe. If I push it all the way back so the steering knuckle is flush with the rack I can’t get the bolt through to tighten it down. If I put just the tip in up to the notched part to fit the bolt the rack doesn’t go far enough back to thread the bolt correctly.

Comment

interesting, I'd like to see how ya do this
              1990 325is
              m52b28
              3.73lsd
              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

91 318is/ LS Swap

Yeah I’m not exactly sure what it is your describing. I did swap to an e36 rack I think it was 95-96 M? I know I have spacers in between the rack and subframe. Perhaps that will help your alignment?

-Nick

Comment

The Z3 rack and e30 rack should be almost identical in dimensions with the only real difference being the spacer used in the Z3 rack.
                  sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

The Chase Bays brake lines arrived this week so I’ll take pictures of the installation and the Z3 rack issues I’m having.

Comment

Finally got back to making progress. New wheel bears all around, just finished with the front.

New strut inserts and springs. Still need to work on the rear but it’ll be getting new shocks, springs, and wheel bearings. Also on deck for this week in the new brake lines and Walbro 255 fuel pump.

While working on the front I went back to my work on the Z3 rack swap and got a better picture of the issue I’m having with the hole not lining up.

In the picture you can see one bolt is through the hole nearest the subframe and the other is closer to the front of the vehicle. I cannot for the life of me get them to line up on matching holes! Anybody else have this issue?

Comment

Haven't had that issue but you are going to want the bolt head on top
                        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Really? Why? Will it be possible to pull the rack if necessary if you slide the bolt in from the top?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

Just for clearance reasons with the oil pan the bolt head sits a lot lower
                            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Got the rack lines up with some massaging from a BFH. Got all the bearings done except for passenger rear. The axle shaft is super stuck in there to I’ll go back at it tomorrow. While I was working on the rear, found both axle shafts are toast. I am not going to put them back in especially with the extra power coming. Any suggestions on axle shafts?

Still working on the brake lines, I have the front lines done but getting the old rear line out is turning into a real pain. All the screws for the fasteners are corroded and don’t want to give up. If they put up a fight tomorrow I’m just going to give them the ole angle grinder.

Comment

Finally done for the weekend. Got the new brake lines run all the way back. Only issue now is I stripped out a rear hub putting the lugs back in, that’s what I get for using the impact though. Guess I’ll be doing the bearing and hub next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X