R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Suspension & Unsprung > Wheels & Tires

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
ArtFoodBMW
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 732
Alternative to Euroweaves

So i had a plan for some wheels for my 2002 and I thought I'd share this info with you folk since it doesn't look like it's been done. I had IRON-E redrill a set of e34 stock basketweaves (style 5's) since they're the perfect offset for an 02.

Stock style 5's for the e34 chassis are 15x7 et20 where euroweaves are 15x7 et24.

You can get e34 stock baskets for free-$150.

Redrill cost is $250 plus

shipping back and forth (about $40 each way for me)
Buy tires for $300-400

All said and done $630-880 with tires. Still less than Euroweaves with no tires

Spacers are needed to fit the e30. I have 10mm up front, and the wheels just barely rubbed on the inner part of the caliper. A 12mm would probably do the trick. Or you can modify the wheel, carrier, or change out the calipers for something larger.

Yes the resulting offset is less than desired. But it's an alternative











__________________

ArtFoodBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
IRON-E
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title
 
IRON-E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Cali
Posts: 16,305
I'm digging it.
__________________
IRON-E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredK View Post
Laugh all you want, but cargo pants are not only stylish, but useful for storing snacks like venison jerky, shortbread cookies, and Tastykakes™.
IRON-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
e30RS
E30 Addict
 
e30RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: las vegas, nv
Posts: 411
Looks great. Love the polished lip.
e30RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
nando
Moderator
 
nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bellingham, wa
Posts: 33,762
People have been doing this for years and years. Looks great and good enough for the street, but I wouldn't use them on a track personally.

Why do you need spacers though? Hubcentric rings should be enough. ET10 is pretty low, but at least they're only 15x7.

Style 5's came in 16" as well, which is also relatively popular.
__________________
Build thread

Bimmerlabs
nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
ArtFoodBMW
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
People have been doing this for years and years. Looks great and good enough for the street, but I wouldn't use them on a track personally.

Why do you need spacers though? Hubcentric rings should be enough. ET10 is pretty low, but at least they're only 15x7.

Style 5's came in 16" as well, which is also relatively popular.
I agree, people have been filling and drilling 16 and 17's for years, I can't recall seeing any 15's however.

A meaty tire setup probably wont make it on these with the resulting offset.

The spacer is needed because the inner part of the wheel near the rotor mounting surface rubs on the inner section of the caliper carrier.
__________________

ArtFoodBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
nrubenstein
No R3VLimiter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,069
Send a message via AIM to nrubenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
I agree, people have been filling and drilling 16 and 17's for years, I can't recall seeing any 15's however.

A meaty tire setup probably wont make it on these with the resulting offset.

The spacer is needed because the inner part of the wheel near the rotor mounting surface rubs on the inner section of the caliper carrier.
Given the iX weaves remain reasonably plentiful, there isn’t much justification. Also, most places that I see charge a good bit more than $250 to fill and drill.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
- S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Poorhouse
Grease Monkey
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Whitefish, MT
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
Given the iX weaves remain reasonably plentiful, there isn’t much justification. Also, most places that I see charge a good bit more than $250 to fill and drill.

He's not talking about iX weaves.


The 2wd offset weaves are usually in the $1k price range for a nice set of wheels only. He's into his set for well less than that with tires.
__________________
1991 318iC
1989 325i Field Rescue
Poorhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
nrubenstein
No R3VLimiter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,069
Send a message via AIM to nrubenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorhouse View Post
He's not talking about iX weaves.


The 2wd offset weaves are usually in the $1k price range for a nice set of wheels only. He's into his set for well less than that with tires.
I am fully aware of the difference between euroweaves and iX weaves. What I don’t understand is why you’d go to the effort of filling and drilling a crappy wheel AND have to run a spacer instead of getting iX weaves for less or the same money.

After all, the whole draw of Euroweaves is to get 15” wheels that don’t need a spacer...
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
- S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
AWDBOB
R3VLimited
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
I am fully aware of the difference between euroweaves and iX weaves. What I don’t understand is why you’d go to the effort of filling and drilling a crappy wheel AND have to run a spacer instead of getting iX weaves for less or the same money.

After all, the whole draw of Euroweaves is to get 15” wheels that don’t need a spacer...
IMO:

1) iX weaves don't look right to me on a car without iX flares. Even though the lip difference is subtle it's make/break for me.
2) Centercap availability. The caps for the OPs wheels are next to no money and are available all over the place. Euroweave/iX Weave caps are nearly impossible to find now, most sets don't come with caps, and they are $110ea new and $75+ea used, usually costing you more than a set of iX weaves, as the affordable sets don't come with caps.

Good call on this OP! I have filled/drilled 16" style 5s.
__________________
1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread
1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
AWDBOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
nrubenstein
No R3VLimiter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,069
Send a message via AIM to nrubenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBOB View Post
IMO:

1) iX weaves don't look right to me on a car without iX flares. Even though the lip difference is subtle it's make/break for me.
2) Centercap availability. The caps for the OPs wheels are next to no money and are available all over the place. Euroweave/iX Weave caps are nearly impossible to find now, most sets don't come with caps, and they are $110ea new and $75+ea used, usually costing you more than a set of iX weaves, as the affordable sets don't come with caps.

Good call on this OP! I have filled/drilled 16" style 5s.
If the subtle difference of the iX lip is make or break for you (I actually disagree on this - the iX is the best looking 15” E30 wheel. Better than the M3 and euroweaves.), how about an offset that is so wrong after necessary spacers that the front wheel lip is outside the fender????
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
- S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
AWDBOB
R3VLimited
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
If the subtle difference of the iX lip is make or break for you (I actually disagree on this - the iX is the best looking 15” E30 wheel. Better than the M3 and euroweaves.), how about an offset that is so wrong after necessary spacers that the front wheel lip is outside the fender????
Freshly painted iX weaves on a proper iX is hard to beat. I've put them on my iS and they just didn't look right IMO but yes that part is certainly a matter of taste (wasn't too keen on the large spacers required for proper fitment either).

I currently run a 13 offset on a 16x8 up front with a 215/45 615K+, pretty low, no roll. It looks nice and OEM+, flush. I can't imagine et10 on a 15x7 would be much different.
__________________
1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread
1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
AWDBOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
nrubenstein
No R3VLimiter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,069
Send a message via AIM to nrubenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBOB View Post
Freshly painted iX weaves on a proper iX is hard to beat. I've put them on my iS and they just didn't look right IMO but yes that part is certainly a matter of taste (wasn't too keen on the large spacers required for proper fitment either).

I currently run a 13 offset on a 16x8 up front with a 215/45 615K+, pretty low, no roll. It looks nice and OEM+, flush. I can't imagine et10 on a 15x7 would be much different.
I think that a lot of it comes down to what you like in a wheel. I dislike wheel lip, so the best looking wheel is the one that has the least of it.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
- S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
ArtFoodBMW
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
I think that a lot of it comes down to what you like in a wheel. I dislike wheel lip, so the best looking wheel is the one that has the least of it.
Totally the opposite for me. There are very few cars that can pull off wheels without a lip IMO. That's why I even went through the effort of having the redrilled.... These have the most lip of the selection of 15" Style 5's and they are extremely readily available.

That being said tire choice is kind of bummer because of the spacer needed to fit the wheel on an e30 but there are ways around that (And all redrilled style 5's need spacers to clear the front calipers on the e30) on

The 2002 they're going on they will easily fit a 195/50/15 with no spacer necessary
__________________

ArtFoodBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #14
Julien
R3V OG
 
Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,374
Send a message via MSN to Julien
y u no Ronal LS?
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
MrBurgundy
No R3VLimiter
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 33.8170° N 118.0373° W
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
y u no Ronal LS?


+1


I think theres a user selling a set of new ones for around 700 yucks
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholepailofwater View Post
Q


WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)
MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC