CD changer factory or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD changer factory or not?

My 91' 318IS came with a CD changer in the trunk. How would I verify if it's an OEM piece? It's a BMW unit with CDX-M91 part number. The 2 wires leading up to it do not look factory however.

Given that you have a 91, it's probably a "factory" cd changer accessory installed by the dealer.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

any pics would be great

Comment

My 91 318is came with the exact same changer installed when I bought the car. I removed it though as I never intended on using it.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

Agree post pics. So you have the KE83ZBM Pioneer 4 channel head unit with the mode switch? Pretty sure that changer is for pioneer only

Some old bmw cd changer info from the late 90s here
          Last edited by bradnic; 04-23-2019, 10:20 AM.
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

FYI, BMW had their units wired to only work with the factory radios. The identical Pioneer branded cd changer, purchased from the stereo hut will not be plug-n-play.

Comment

Closer inspection revealed that it's not a factory unit. Production date of 1992, butchered wiring and hack install job. I ended up yanking it out of there.

Comment

Working...
              X