Why my fuel pump is loud??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why my fuel pump is loud??

My fuel pump after the car is driven by few miles it starts to whine loud. What is going on?

It's dying. Sometimes they die silently but any sound is a sure indicator that parts are failing. The poor thing has been pumping for decades! I just replaced mine today, it's a 20 minute job. Here's my blog post, here's the how to. Good luck!

Comment

What he said , buy a 255 walbro
      Originally posted by IAmGary View Post
      It's dying. Sometimes they die silently but any sound is a sure indicator that parts are failing. The poor thing has been pumping for decades! I just replaced mine today, it's a 20 minute job. Here's my blog post, here's the how to. Good luck!

Comment

if the filter is as old as the pump, replace it first

Comment

My fuel pump has been loud for as long as I've had my car, I guess it's probably just a aftermarket one because it's been pumping fine for a year. The fuel pump I put in my truck after the original failed was a aftermarket unit(autozone special) that although flows a lot more I think is just louder because it's not oem
          Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
          Bimmerbuddies LLC
          717-388-1256
          2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
          bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

A whining pump is one that is working too hard or that is badly worn. A clogged fuel filter or a rusty fuel tank will cause the pump to have to work too hard. If the tank is rusty that rust will collect on the inlet screen while pump is running and choke off flow. Once the car is parked for a the rust will fall off and settle out, until the next time the car is driven. Rust is highly abrasive and will wear the pump (and clog the filter pretty quickly).
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Check the tank for rust before anything else (other than filter change). I changed two pumps just to find out that the rust in the tank was killed them both.

Comment

That advice on rust is good, never heard that before.

Comment

I have two pumps and this is the pump on the outside below the rear driver side. Also the fuel filter is new. So i guess is dying

Comment

Your intank pump is dead, which makes the main pump work that much harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck C View Post
                      Your intank pump is dead, which makes the main pump work that much harder.
                      Thanks! I'll check the intank pump

Comment

Working...
                      X