strange headgasket coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange headgasket coolant leak

I've recently been going through the process of eliminating coolant leaks. Starting with a bad radiator cap, radiator hoses, thermostat, heater hoses, and ultimately, the water pump with a new timing belt. When I was finally done, I started filling up with coolant, and immediately coolant started running out. My neighbor helped me run a pressure test, and a small stream came spraying straight out from what appears to be the headgasket, directly above the waterpump where the pin and spring for the tensioner contact the waterpump. I didnt think there were any coolant passages at the very front of the moter in this area. Has anyone else ever seen or experienced this?

It's probably the Welsh (freeze) plug at the front of the head. Remove the cam gear and repeat the coolant pressure test. I've had more than one car come in the shop expecting a head gasket and it was that plug.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thank you...

You were absolutely correct! I pulled the cam belt cover, pressurized the system, and sure enough, squirting straight out of the freeze plug.

Comment

Working...
      X