Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

request m20 headgasket replacement writeup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agree with all the above, just finished doing my head rebuild.
    i turned the crank by hand (goes clockwise i believe look at the bentley) with the plugs out and left the manifolds on for easier removal/re-installation of the head
    def get the head (machine shop) and block (straight edge or other methods) checked for flatness and inspect your cylinder walls for cross hatching

other things you can do "while you're in there" or at least what i did

injectors
    clean the engine bay
    replace bad engine accessories (i did my PS pump)
    take a closer look at your engine harness (i ended up replacing mine)
    valve job (or port n polish if you're a baller)

don't loose the head bolt washers, you'll hate yourself for having to go to a PnP just for those washers...

Comment

Lol i had to buy my washers from my local bmw dealer i think it was $1.93 a washer

Comment

This isnt to hard of a DYI , Also no need to remove the radiator.

Discoonect all sensors , then coolant hoses, unbolt the TB take out air box. Unbolt exhaust manifold , remove valve cover. Next loosen timing belt , remove head. Your first time should take about half a day.

Comment

An old school test you can do with the head and block: Buy a really large metal file, the kind you use for woodworking. Have it be fine cut. When they make these files, they are absolutely flat.

Then you can use the file to check the flatness of the head by positioning it at different angles along the head and checking with a feeler gauge.

May not be perfect, but will give you a good idea as to how warped (if at all) your head is.

Comment

Came across this thread while search on how to diagnose a head gasket leak.. I have 3 E30's - and my second one is giving me a headache..

I hought Id share my write up.. in case someone else needed it. (you have to sign in to see pics)

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

My apologies that this is bf.com - I plan on posting more of these here going forward..

Comment

Originally posted by fatsooo View Post
              agree with all the above, just finished doing my head rebuild.
              i turned the crank by hand (goes clockwise i believe look at the bentley) with the plugs out and left the manifolds on for easier removal/re-installation of the head
              def get the head (machine shop) and block (straight edge or other methods) checked for flatness and inspect your cylinder walls for cross hatching

other things you can do "while you're in there" or at least what i did

injectors
              clean the engine bay
              replace bad engine accessories (i did my PS pump)
              take a closer look at your engine harness (i ended up replacing mine)
              valve job (or port n polish if you're a baller)

don't loose the head bolt washers, you'll hate yourself for having to go to a PnP just for those washers...
              Sorry for revival of an old thread.
              Which MACHINE shop did you use to resurface the head in Orange County, CA ?

Thanks.

Comment

There is a shop called Head Exchange. Never had any issues with them
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                X