Top down in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top down in the rain

What are your experiences driving (or sitting still if you have really bad luck) in the rain? This summer I got caught in two heavy downpurs within a few hours of each other on a highway. I said to myself I'm better off just driving and trying not to slow down below about 60 or so. I was somewhat successful in not getting entirely soaked although it was a challenge because the visibility was not great and some cars wanted to go too slow.

The looks were funny as hell as I attempted to maintain a "its sunny and 80° out" expression.

The joys of driving a vert. Next adventure is driving top down in the snow:grin:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Top down in the snow is the coolest thing you'll ever do
    Attached Files

Comment

My dad got an e93 when i was about seven years old and some of my best memories in that car are bombing down the highway in the pouring rain with the top down. it's great fun. now i'm trying to get him into an e30 vert to put in the garage next to my coupe.
      84 325e, Saphirblau Metallic/Houndstooth Sport, OBD-2 M52B28/ zf320

Comment

lol but doesnt your interior get soaked? Id hate the smell

Comment

It works and it's fun. Snow too, I had an 87 vert and as long as you keep speed up you're golden
          Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

I don't know but I've always been afraid to be caught with the top down during rain... Always pull over and put it back up if I see a drop falling!:)
            "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
            -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

Top down in the rain is fun. As long as you have the windows up and go faster than like 30mph the inside of the car doesn't get wet. I've done it quite a few times both before and after the new interior and it's best on a twisty mountain road. It doesn't work in a storm when the drops are heavy but in light to moderate rain you're good. But the downfall is always when you run into traffic and look like an idiot frantically trying to get the top up as soon as possible. Meanwhile you're having more fun than all the other jelly bean cars on the road!

You gotta be careful with top down in the snow because if it's too cold your rear window will crack when you fold the top down.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

yups, top down is fun, just don't come to full stop, I've fell to sleep once while car sat on driveway,
                well, it poured Hawaiian style that evening but no worries,
                marine grade cloth interior kick it's ars.

I loved driving up to Big Bear during winter with top down, wife not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by yngtmr View Post
                  My dad got an e93 when i was about seven years old and some of my best memories in that car are bombing down the highway in the pouring rain with the top down. it's great fun. now i'm trying to get him into an e30 vert to put in the garage next to my coupe.
                  Haha wow this comment makes me feel old. I still think of e90 cars as pretty new
                  Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                  A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Last night I left the car out with the top down and this morning came to find a couple of inches of water in the rear floor as well as the rest of the car soaked. My Recaro LS-b seats are original cloth but when I eventually get them redone I will definitely consider some weather resistant fabric. I may also drill a few strategic drain holes in the floor and add some grommets to them for when I the car turns into an aquarium. At least the rainstorm didn't affect any of the electronics.
                    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Love those pictures, Frank!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

I look forward to driving in the snow with the top down, the rain maybe not so much. With a respiratory condition driving a musty car is just not something I can get away with much.

When I got my 'vert in Dec '16 it was already kinda musty but by January and more than a few rain storms it was bad. Got an inch or so of water in it with the top up - just thru normal leak spots (clogged drains, worn window seals, top leaks etc). Spent 3 months tearing out and reconditioning interior while going after leaks and getting top replaced.

This summer's been too hot and too dry but after 140 straight days of rain (60 of them in a 1-seat, bare-metal "daily driver") I need it. Not looking forward to when I find I've missed a leak somewhere and have to pull the carpet again; driving top-down in the rain is just more of a push than I'm ready for just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by franklinmomo View Post
                          Top down in the snow is the coolest thing you'll ever do
                          had to make sure I wasn't on an adult-themed skiing forum before the photo loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                            Top down in the rain is fun. As long as you have the windows up and go faster than like 30mph the inside of the car doesn't get wet.
                            I had a Fiat 124 spider in college. Drove across Wyoming at 65 in the rain and was bone dry - it was kind of a blast.

Then I had an Alfa spider in Seattle with a shitty torn top. I parked in the old Kingdome parking lot every day with a big tarp clamped in the door frames - a storm came through, blew it all off, rained in it all day. The seat foam was soaked through like a wet sponge, mmmm....

Comment

Working...
                            X