• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post
    Plot both cams out and overlay them.
    I would have to install it to plot it. Have no extra head laying around

Comment

I might be plotting one in next month or two
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
        I got 284 cam in the mail last night (couldn't pass up the deal). For my 2.9 stroker...debating if I should install it instead of my Dbilas 276 (remember that plot?) or should I try running Dbilas first, dyno that setup and swap to 284 later.

option 1: change it now (another $120 waisted for new HG.)
        option 2: run 276 and try 284 later (unavoidable $120 for HG plus new rockers $$ for my new cam).

what do you think? Remember that Dbilas 276? Should I fit this 284 of the get go?
        i now know why guys have shown that retarding cam makes best power. will show plot results over coming days
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

i now know why guys have shown that retarding cam makes best power. will show plot results over coming days
          cam hole is off (too advanced)? can't wait to see....hurry up :)

Comment

In effect yes about 5* advance build in just like the 28&

Comment

can we see some plots with some brief synopsis of what you think about that grind?
              Last edited by zaq123; 02-08-2018, 05:31 AM.

Comment

can we see some plots with some brief senopsis of what you think about that grind?
                I will, just need to find the time

Comment

I will, just need to find the time
                  I know what you mean. I just really want to see if it worth for my 2.9L to run this cam over Dbilas I got now (if you recall the plot I emailed you)

Comment

I know what you mean. I just really want to see if it worth for my 2.9L to run this cam over Dbilas I got now (if you recall the plot I emailed you)
                    id run what you have but have it advanced a bunch see how you like it

ZAQ is dbilas276 with HD rockers which produce more lift that oe rockers

Last edited by digger; 02-09-2018, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Interesting. Almost like Schrick took their pre-drilled 288/288 and reduced IN lobe to 284 and EX to 272 maintaining the same LSA as 288 cam. Lowering EX side duration retarded the cam in a relation to the gear hole. Am I looking at it wrong?

The more I look at my plot... Do you think it looks like Dbilas 284?
                      Their 284 specs:

Applikation : Road

2,5 - 2,7 Duration: : 284
                      Peak timing: : 112
                      Valve lift: : 11,5
                      Lift at TDC: : 2,1
                      Valve timing: : 30/74 - 74/30
                      Valve clearence: : 20/20

Comment

lowering duration doesn't retard it if its on the same centreline. it means the exhaust opening point is later (retarding cam also does this) but the exhaust closing is earlier which is what advancing does.

late opening of exhaust valve makes more lowend and midrange because you extract more of the usable pressure and energy.
                        the reason you dont want to open too late above a certain rpm is that there isnt enough time to evacuate the cylinder properly at higher rpm. if you dont evacuate the cylinder properly by the time the inlet valve opens then you get excessive reversion of exhaust gas into the inlet port.

i dont think it is a 284 but who knows, unless you know how they rate duration its impossible to know. for example schrick use end of the ramp which is useless unless you have a full lift curve.
                        Last edited by digger; 02-09-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

what you do think of that split duration cam? What did Schrick try to achieve with this design? Which cam is BH 284 you got there?

Comment

later opening exhaust helps with torque but to keep overlap down duration has to be kept down. Won't have a big topend though. The overlap hurts idle, part throttle (single TB) and at low rpm sub 2000

It's actually a bimmerheads 280/274 which has timing points which are pretty good for street engine stock manifold but it has low lift so leaves free torque on the table

The cam you have will hands down make more top end power advancing helps bottom end but there is only so much advancing can do sometimes you just gotta try it out . It's better suited to a itb engine. It's always a trade off so depends on your priorities. The long stock intake and hot cams work against each other
                            Last edited by digger; 02-11-2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

later opening exhaust helps with torque but to keep overlap down duration has to be kept down. Won't have a big topend though. The overlap hurts idle, part throttle (single TB) and at low rpm sub 2000

It's actually a bimmerheads 280/274 which has timing points which are pretty good for street engine stock manifold but it has low lift so leaves free torque on the table

The cam you have will hands down make more top end power advancing helps bottom end but there is only so much advancing can do sometimes you just gotta try it out . It's better suited to a itb engine. It's always a trade off so depends on your priorities. The long stock intake and hot cams work against each other
                              I will try 284 when I go ITB. Do you think 4' ADV is a good starting point?

Comment

The cam you have would be better than 284/272 with itb I'd think but you might have meant dbilas 284.

Comment

Working...
                                X