Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting ms3x connectors through firewall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting ms3x connectors through firewall?

Hey everyione,

For anyone not running an mspnp unit, how did you manage getting the ms3 and expansion cables through the firewall. As far as I can tell now, it looks like I am going to have to cut the firewall further to accommodate the connector, or solder the connector through the firewall, but that means its going to be stuck in place which I am not a fan of...

I am doing a =n m52 turbo swao with an obd2 harness, so there is no pnp option currently (plus I already have the ms3x and coil drivers)

Got a pic of the stuff you are trying to fit through? I would think that if you pulled whatever remains of the factory harness and the big rubber grommet, you could bundle things and then put the connectors through again. The big 55/88 pin Motronic connector fits through there that way.

Getting If you are trying to jam big connectors through the rubber grommet with the factory harness still in there, then yeah that would be a pain. I think that the factory harness was assembled by putting the wires through first, and then crimping terminals on and assembling the ECU connector. If you know a gynecologist you might be able to stretch the grommet enough to fit an entire connector through lol.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

A strategically placed hose saw, some touch up paint and another rubber gromit might look nice?

Comment

what kind of connector are you using? The DB37s definitely fit through the stock hole. Mine is even using the original rubber grommet (salvaged from a parts harness).

I built mine freakin' ages ago - but if I were to do it again I'd use a stock harness plug and make an adapter to the original harness plug. The DB37 is such a piece of shit connector for this purpose, I wished I had never used it. It's just a pain in the ass and I'm not surprised you're wondering how to get it through the hole in the firewall..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah, it's the two db37 connectors I am debating on how to do. I don't want to twist them as I don't feel confident enough in the wires staying the proper places. I suppose if I were to pull the wire loom sideways I might be able to slide it through, but again I think that is going to put a ton of pressure on the wires.

I was considering making an adapter box, but I think that one may be above my skill level.

Comment

Are the shells/covers on the DB37's? Assuming the stock harness and rubber grommet are out of the hole, the DB37's should pass through just fine if the covers are off.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I've never used any shells or covers on my DB37s and I've run MS for more than 10 years. Also you should be able to pull them through and put them back on after if you really want them. I don't think putting them through sideways is going to hurt the wires - if they don't stay in from that, you're going to have issues with vibrations etc. anyway.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The connectors are pretty stout, just take the covers off and twist the connector to the side, will be fine.

Comment

I will give that a shot later then. I hadn't even thought about taking the covers off. I guess I thought they would just come apart if I did that.

Comment

man, I don't know if my hole is smaller (lawlz...), but I really had to crunch the wires down just to get one through, not even trying the other connector at the same time. Looks like I will be hunting around for a larger hole saw and grommet.

Comment

The standard db37 connector shield/case i find is way to small when you fill a db37 connection with 1mm2 wire and shielded microphone cable for the CAS. The opening isnt big enough for all the wires to go through. Im going to 3d print a bigger shield/case to fit everything in.

Comment

Working...
                      X