Rough running after heavy rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough running after heavy rain

Still haven't been able to figure out my problem here. Car will misfire and generally run like shit for about 20-25 minutes after a cold start. I've replaced my plugs, wires, coil, distributor think that's it. Car's a 1987 325i with a 173 ecu, I can't get the stomp test to work for shit and my check engine light is on.

The car will idle just fine, but when you put a load on the motor if it's real wet out it will just completely shit out. I've been in several situations at this point that have been incredibly dangerous due to this bullshit. Then after the cars been driven it could rain all day and the car will run fine. Can't seem to figure it out.

Gunna drop it off at a euro shop friday see if they can figure anything out.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

The symptoms point to a grounding issue. Check your grounds to make sure that they are clean and tight.

Comment

first of all if your stomp test doesn't work I am willing to bet your throttle position sensor is busted or not properly adjusted. start there and work your way out. the engine doesn't really get wet when driving in the rain, atleast the ignition components don't, and that's would cause a misfire under load.

the grounding issue is possible, since the engine to chassis ground does hang low. If in doubt of your cable's condition, a new one can be purchased through bavrest.com for a fair price.
      Last edited by 5Toes; 01-27-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X