E30 and E28 radiator compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 and E28 radiator compatibility

I was at the junkyard and spotted a radiator that looked to be in very good condition in an E28 chassis. Visually it looks about the same but I couldnt compare side by side. Will it work in an E30?

Except in an emergency I'd have serious reservations about a used radiator. First of all there is no good way to tell if all of the radiator fin tubes are clear. Second is the age factor. The plastic bits get brittle with age and can fail with no waring. I figure the life of the plastic & rubber bits of an E30's (and most other BMW's) cooling system at 10 years. They may last longer than that, and frequently do, but there is a risk of sudden failure. So every other timing belt all of that gets replaced, along with the water pump, thermostat, & fan clutch.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I understand your reserves with a used radiator. However the one in the yard APPEARS to be a replacement, it is way newer looking than the rest of the car. And its only $37, so I just need to know if it fits. Which I've been researching and have not been able to find any confirmation of. It is the same engine as my 325 pretty much so I don't see why BMW would use a different radiator.

Comment

Get the last 7 of the VIN off the E28 and look up the part number on realoem.com. Compare that to the part number for your radiator. If the part numbers are the same the E28 radiator will work.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Are not e28 radiators larger? They fit in a bolt on sense, but as far as hose routing, IDK. I've got one and my dad needs a new radiator in his e30 so we were going to see but I'm a dick and never get around to doing shit.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I actually have a m30b35 swap that uses the e28 radiator in my e30 so it fits its just a matter of getting hoses that fit to that radiator. But you can bolt it on and it shoudn't be too hard to get the right piping.

Comment

Working...
            X