Need help w/my no start, ready to sell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help w/my no start, ready to sell!

Have tried just about everything, been to a very reputable mechanic and have replaced many key parts. AFM is about all that's left that might be the issue. Anybody have one they could let me swap in to test before buying a new one?

Any of you guys want to throw ideas in as to why this beast wont go?

We have literally tried everything that has been suggested and nothing seems to be working. Anybody have any experience with a M42 no start?

Flame away, I really just want to drive my 318 again.

Comment

come on, we need more symptoms than saying "my car won't start". Give us some background, and then someone might be able to help.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
        come on, we need more symptoms than saying "my car won't start". Give us some background, and then someone might be able to help.
        Sorry, I have written about it so much that I sort of forgot that you didnt have the history. Thanks for reminding me to tell the tale.

Initially died during acceleration on twisty mtn road. Thought it might be a failed injector. Had to tow it home
        Since that time....
        new fuel pump
        new fuel filter
        fuel pressure tested at rail
        new Cam Position
        junkyard Crank position that tests out to proper ohms
        new intake boot
        compression test
        tank half full of fuel
        cleaned ICV
        spark test on each plug, wires not crossed
        bench tested injectors, very solid
        no fuses blown
        no vacuum leaks
        BMW tech had it for 4 days and could not solve the problem, everything tested independently
        another BMW mechanic had it for another 2 days, got it very close to starting with replacement DME
        yet another DME on it's way from M42 member
        new FP relay
        new Main Relay
        started every time and ran great prior to 5500 rpm hiccup and death
        any other questions?

Comment

tried a 3rd DME, still no life, c'mon guys I could really use some input here, I know I'm a noob but this is a serious challenge that needs your expertise, experience and wisdom

Comment

Silly questions to follow, but I certainly need more info. I am sure you have cranked the engine by hand, is it spinning through properly? When you turn the key what happens? starter cranking? timing verified? pulled upper chain cover yet? Don't give up!

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              Silly questions to follow, but I certainly need more info. I am sure you have cranked the engine by hand, is it spinning through properly? When you turn the key what happens? starter cranking? timing verified? pulled upper chain cover yet? Don't give up!
              cranked engine by hand and spinning properly
              after turning key, starter engages, engines cranks over
              timing verified by BMW tech, pinned crank and slipped cam tool on, lined up perfectly
              no reason to pull upper chain cover, no mechanical changes occurred since engine was running properly
              no silly questions, plenty more info if you should need it
              not given up yet!

Comment

Stupid fucking question have you checked every ground if the coil ground isn't well umm grounded the fucking car will never start. Just a thought
                Originally posted by bmwm42
                PNW vulture pm me for parts
                Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
                  Stupid fucking question have you checked every ground if the coil ground isn't well umm grounded the fucking car will never start. Just a thought
                  no stupid questions dude.... I have checked and rechecked every fucking ground that I could find, but I will continue checking them until the bitch starts

Comment

Yep, sounds like you have it narrowed down to AFM woes. Do you still have the in line resistor or whatever it was fitted, looks like a harness extension on the wires for the AFM, if so delete it. If not hopefully it's just a wrecked AFM, although I have never heard of one failing on the go. The only other alternative is a bad wire somewhere shorted or chafed out of existence which will be very hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                      Yep, sounds like you have it narrowed down to AFM woes. Do you still have the in line resistor or whatever it was fitted, looks like a harness extension on the wires for the AFM, if so delete it. If not hopefully it's just a wrecked AFM, although I have never heard of one failing on the go. The only other alternative is a bad wire somewhere shorted or chafed out of existence which will be very hard to find.
                      well, a different AFM did nothing
                      pulled off the in-line resistor
                      have begun the search for wiring issues, so far nothing

Comment

for what it's worth

Comment

Try starting it with the pedal to the floor. Car sounds like it wants to start
                          Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
                            Try starting it with the pedal to the floor. Car sounds like it wants to start
                            pedal to the floor? why? this is a fuel injected engine, my understanding is that opening the butterfly will change the air flow and the ECU will try and accomodate which will further complicate the situation. Do I have my facts f'ed

Comment

James the sit owner suggested that in one of his threads for the m42 it has something to do with something? Searching for the thread now
                              Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Working...
                              X