No announcement yet.

Need help w/my no start, ready to sell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This smells like crankshaft position sensor issue. Remember that the CPS plugs into the bottom socket and the camshaft sensor to the top socket so make sure you have them hooked up correctly. Also make sure that the CPS is installed correctly and is hugging the crank pulley teeth closely. Lastly I would try a second CPS since yours came from the junkyard and you can't trust it even though the OHMs read fine.

When the car doesn't start it's either fuel or air or spark. If you checked and you are getting spark at the ignition wires then check for fuel entering the cylinder. I don't care if you checked the injectors on the bench pull them out of the engine and observe with your eyes that they are injecting fuel when you crank the engine.

If fuel and spark are there then your air flow is somehow blocked. Check your air filter to make sure nothing is surprising there. Lastly, check your catalytic converter to make sure it's not blocking exhaust gasses from exiting the exhaust manifold.

Oh and where in the bay area are you? I'm in the city and might be able to give you a hand with parts off my M42.
    -----------------------------------
    Life is too short to be driving a Honda.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
      James the sit owner suggested that in one of his threads for the m42 it has something to do with something? Searching for the thread now
      I found a thread that talks about starting with WOT, which is essentially what your suggesting. It said that cars that burn alot of oil sometimes benefit from this starting method. Has to do with how the computer compensates. I tried it anyway and it didnt change anything really, but thanks for the input, still appreciate any suggestions and comments. This fuckers got the e30 community stumped.

Comment

what were the compression numbers? leakdown test been done? this is issue is pissing me off and it isnt even my car
        Originally posted by bmwm42
        PNW vulture pm me for parts
        Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
          This smells like crankshaft position sensor issue. Remember that the CPS plugs into the bottom socket and the camshaft sensor to the top socket so make sure you have them hooked up correctly. Also make sure that the CPS is installed correctly and is hugging the crank pulley teeth closely. Lastly I would try a second CPS since yours came from the junkyard and you can't trust it even though the OHMs read fine.

When the car doesn't start it's either fuel or air or spark. If you checked and you are getting spark at the ignition wires then check for fuel entering the cylinder. I don't care if you checked the injectors on the bench pull them out of the engine and observe with your eyes that they are injecting fuel when you crank the engine.

If fuel and spark are there then your air flow is somehow blocked. Check your air filter to make sure nothing is surprising there. Lastly, check your catalytic converter to make sure it's not blocking exhaust gasses from exiting the exhaust manifold.

Oh and where in the bay area are you? I'm in the city and might be able to give you a hand with parts off my M42.
          Thanks for the input....I'm on the other side of the tunnel, in Moraga.

sensors are in correct sockets, do you have a known working Crank sensor?

I did replace the entire rail and all injectors with no change in start condition, not sure if you think that indicates that the injectors are not the issue. I'm am unclear as to how I can have an injector out and still crank engine. Maybe you could enlighten me. it seems as though the problem is that the injectors are not firing "correctly and at the right time" because of the "incomplete" starting. did you happen to listen to my video?

and how in the hell can I check my cat for blockage, that's definitely a new one?

Comment

pull your plugs are they coming out soaked? and how strong of a spark do you have? is it continuous?
            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

what were the compression numbers? leakdown test been done? this is issue is pissing me off and it isnt even my car
              compression numbers were between 170-180, leakdown test was done, everything indicates that this block is solid mechanically

glad to hear that someone else is pissed off, thanks bro!

Comment

pull your plugs are they coming out soaked? and how strong of a spark do you have? is it continuous?
                not soaked, but wet.... spark is very strong, pretty blue to white color
                continually good and seemingly happening when they should

Comment

Compression isnt to bad not great either
                  Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Compression isnt to bad not great either
                    but not poor enough to prevent the start or warrant a WOT start need

Comment

No not by any means are those compression numbers on a cold engine obviously right?
                      Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

No not by any means are those compression numbers on a cold engine obviously right?
                        uummm right! that bitch hasnt been hot or even warm since february

Comment

damn dude. you have my sympathies.
                          wish I had something (anything) to contribute.. but it sounds like you've covered more bases than I can even think up..

Best of luck.
                          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

something tells me to have the head checked those compression numbers though pretty consistant accross the board tell me something i had the same issue with one of my engines everything was there fuel spark air etc everything tested out but the piece of shit wouldnt start i gave up put a new engine in and start up at first crank used same dme same sensors coils etc on new engine so that ruled out all those possibilites for the other engine not starting,
                            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

something tells me to have the head checked those compression numbers though pretty consistant accross the board tell me something i had the same issue with one of my engines everything was there fuel spark air etc everything tested out but the piece of shit wouldnt start i gave up put a new engine in and start up at first crank used same dme same sensors coils etc on new engine so that ruled out all those possibilites for the other engine not starting,
                              :( fffuuuuuck!

Comment

Originally posted by sfinsf View Post
                                not soaked, but wet....
                                What was your fuel pressure? Remember my pump was failing and eventually could only muster 10psi as it was dying.

I know that you replaced the fuel pump, but perhaps you got a bum unit - it has been known to happen.

As I stated on the reply on bimmerforums my car sounded exactly like yours when it started acting up - almost running, but not quite getting there. It was the fuel pump.

Comment

Working...
                                X