Need help w/my no start, ready to sell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petebee View Post
    What was your fuel pressure? Remember my pump was failing and eventually could only muster 10psi as it was dying.

I know that you replaced the fuel pump, but perhaps you got a bum unit - it has been known to happen.

As I stated on the reply on bimmerforums my car sounded exactly like yours when it started acting up - almost running, but not quite getting there. It was the fuel pump.
    fuel pressure was 42 psi, pump seems pretty solid, doing it's job

Comment

maybe a blown head gasket ?
      check to see if it mixed.. maybe loss of compression ?

Comment

ok after all of that I would count it down to the fuel or to much that it can not ignite. I recon you are simply not getting enough fuel. Have you confirmed voltages at the plugs for the fuel injectors. What range of volts did you get, or is there a difference from no accelerator to full throttal..

Another one would be to pull your injector rail and injectors out setup 4 jars to catch the the spray and crank the engine for 1min, calculate how much fuel you have collected and compare it to the average fuel required for idle on a 1.8lt. I don't have the time to find the figures but I am sure you can.

If all else fails then replace your A/F, IAT, Coolent temp, throttal position, oil temp, oil pressure sensors then see what happens. good luck
        sigpic

Comment

Did you modify your car right before this happened? What was the last mod/fix you did to your car?

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          My expectation is an immediate 5 speed swap. Autos suck more than a 50 year old whore.

Comment

M42 back to life

Originally posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
            This smells like crankshaft position sensor issue. Remember that the CPS plugs into the bottom socket and the camshaft sensor to the top socket so make sure you have them hooked up correctly. Also make sure that the CPS is installed correctly and is hugging the crank pulley teeth closely. Lastly I would try a second CPS since yours came from the junkyard and you can't trust it even though the OHMs read fine.

When the car doesn't start it's either fuel or air or spark. If you checked and you are getting spark at the ignition wires then check for fuel entering the cylinder. I don't care if you checked the injectors on the bench pull them out of the engine and observe with your eyes that they are injecting fuel when you crank the engine.

If fuel and spark are there then your air flow is somehow blocked. Check your air filter to make sure nothing is surprising there. Lastly, check your catalytic converter to make sure it's not blocking exhaust gasses from exiting the exhaust manifold.

Oh and where in the bay area are you? I'm in the city and might be able to give you a hand with parts off my M42.
            Feelin pretty stupid after all of you guys made suggestions on what was causing no start. Freude nailed it in this post. It was the CPS, strange part was that it pinned out correctly but for some reason was remaining open and not sending signal. Tech hooked up scanner and found no RPM during cranking.
            Just wanted to put this thread to rest. Thanks again for all your help guys. Now I'm back to dealing with all the other issues that it has.
            - Bad stutter
            - Coolant leak after tstat replacement
            - Overheating as a result of something I screwed up during coolant system work,
            You know, the normal shit. However, I have learned a ton of shit about this car in the 9 mths that I have owned it. Only driven 385 miles.
            Attached Files

Comment

good for you man!!! keep at it.

Comment

Working...
              X