Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Refresh Plan - Help

Hello all,

Needing some advice to layout my action item for my new to me 92 318ic. No real maintenance records but the car runs fine. There's a slight oil leak so that will have to be prioritize. In regards to preventative maintenance please provide what you would recommend that I do to get car in tip/top shape.

Current action item:
    Oil leak - Diagnose and repair
    Oil drain - refill with 10w40
    Timing Chain Tensioner using M44 (part no. 11 31 1 743 187)

The car is practically stock, no mods. I hear that I should refresh bushings, any particular brand/link? It's a 5 speed if that makes a difference.

Thank you team.

step 1: search the forum for tips. theres tons here
    step 2: mess under intake
    step 3: use 20w50
    step 4: inspect your timing gears/guides and chain and replace as needed

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

^ I'd add to that list to drop the lower oil pan and check those bolts in the pan. If you are going to check and potentially replace the timing gears/guides this should be done as well.
      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Thank you both. Will add both to the list. Fun fun fun.

Comment

Hit up www.m42club.com too ... lotsa good info there.
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Why 20w50 oil?

As for brands, it may seem obvious, but watch out for the cheap stuff. I always Google brand names that I don't know, and it's usually easy to find out if they are legit or crap.

I usually use Pelican Parts for my parts needs and I have never had a problem with any of their brands (they carry OEM and off-brand for almost all parts), good prices as well.
            Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Where are you seeing the oil leak / dripping from? There are 3 notorious spots: at the oil filter housing, where the 2 rubber profile gaskets meet neat the timing chain tensioner, and the gasket at the rear crank cover.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Found the leak, 2 leaks to be exact. One came from the Power Steering Res. The other was due to the valve cover gasket.

Comment

Working...
                X