DD Car Problem / Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DD Car Problem / Help Needed

So after jump starting my car this morning after it died over night for no reason and driving it for a hour, my check engine light came on when i was leaving my house again, which has only happen a few times but for a second or two now its constant, now my car wont keep running unless i keep my foot on the accelerator, because if i don't it will just shut off, not roughly nor choke till it shuts, it just shuts off completely.

Past problems/Current:
    • Rough idle when cold starting but fine after a few minutes off pressing on the accelerator.
    • Car would sometimes die over night has happen 3 times in 2.5 months

Recent Problem:
    • Car will shut off unless you accelerate constantly.
    • If you ease off the gas car will shut off like as if it had a on or off switch ^ same concept
    • Car now has to be jump started after trying to turn it on which failed. Motor did turn over

Any help would be appreciated, car is my DD so need to find out what is wrong soon.

This kind of thing is usually related to your intake boot having a hole in it or your ICV (Idle Control Valve) getting stuck. If you have a tear in the boot then it would splatter and dye at idle, if you ICV is stick it just wont idle and will just dye.

The ICV is located between the head and the fire wall, it is a cylinder with two hose going into it one at each end. Take it out and spray WD40 in it and see if that helps.

If not then you could have shorted something in the ECU possibly, or a fuse, check your fuses. If it is the ECU a easy way to check is to get another on and swap them over and see if that fixes the issue.
    sigpic

Comment

Do a stomp test. Check your ground strap on the passenger side from the engine mount to the body. Pull your plugs and have a look. Finally, do as above and check your intake system and vacuum hoses for obvious issues.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, did the stomp test and it came out to be 1215............ "1215 - Indicates problem relating to Air / Mass Flow Meter - AFM or MAF depending on your e30 model. Causes could be cable wire damage, short circuit in the unit, or air / vacuum leak (check air intake hose - big L-shaped one)"..... so im guessing all my problems i have and have had relate to this so maybe i think nows a good time to change all my hoses

Comment

Good idea on the hose change, 1215 IIRC rarely has anything to do with the AFM (other than the AFM reading weird air flow) and is generally triggered by a large vacuum leak. Of course you could be the exception, but I doubt it. Should be an easy and inexpensive fix if you go with the mess under the intake deletion or a bit more but nearly as good if you go with stock parts.

Just to clarify, when you say it died overnight I assume you meant it had a dead battery? If so make sure the ground strap on the starter is reasonable, check the strap from the passenger engine mount to the body, and of course test your battery at home or elsewhere.

Comment

^^^

Battery checked out fine , and strap from mount to body was good, im thinking perhaps its the alternator, because at times when closing my windows the lights dim a little inside and out....im gonna test it once i can get the car moving

and i imagine i had a huge leak in the system, piece #15 was no longer there,and #14 has major cracks that it no longer sticks to the nipple

Comment

Definitely fix the hoses, vacuum leaks will cause problems. I got a 1215 because I forgot to transfer the plug in the bottom of the intake boot to a new one I installed.

Definitely sounds like electric problem though, alternator is a very good guess considering the symptoms.
              Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Working...
              X