Tensioner didn't solver it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tensioner didn't solver it

So my car squeals on idle and if the weather is a bit nippy every time I idle it squeals, my local mechanic said change the tensioner, this morning I swapped it out with the new m44 tensioner and it didn't solve anything.
    Last edited by isthistherealcaesarspalace; 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM.

Have you tried starting the car without the belts? And then adding one belt at a time to see which is offending? It could be not enough tension on the belts (my M42 sounded almost identical to yours and it just needed more tension on the AC belt), a failed/failing bearing on one of the pulleys, or the belts are slipping due to something else... bad idler, etc.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

A high pitched squealing (sorry, couldn't load the video) is usually a dirty or worn belt, or a water pump on its way out.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Squealing belts?

Take a bar of hand soap, with the engine OFF, rub soap on one belt, no squeal, that belt was loose or shot. Tighten or replace.

Do one at a time to find the bad or loose belt.

Don't soap the belts with the engine running.

Comment

^WD40 works as well though is a bit messier. It will allow you to do it with the engine running to see immediately which one is the problem.
          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          -----------------------------------------
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

oldmann - That's exactly what I did and now the noise on is gone completely

Comment

Schnitzer318is - I see you had a turbo m42 could you PM me details im extremely interested and motivated to turbo

Comment

Originally posted by isthistherealcaesarspalace View Post
                oldmann - That's exactly what I did and now the noise on is gone completely
                Noise may be gone, but not the problem. Figure out which belt is toast and get it gone before it breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmann View Post
                  Noise may be gone, but not the problem. Figure out which belt is toast and get it gone before it breaks.
                  x2

dont wanna bust that bitch in the middle of January during your delivery shift. Changing all but the alternator belt sucks on a lowered car without a jack - especially in your works' parking lot in the middle of January. Not that I'd know or anything....
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD
                  1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                  so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Working...
                  X