Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First E30..1987 325 Sedan what you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First E30..1987 325 Sedan what you guys think?

I just bought an 325 sedan 1987 over the weekend on Craiglist for $800..what you guys think? interior is clean and was driven by previous owner as daily..She got 175K+ miles. Odometer is broke so I have to fix it sometime in the future. Is it an OK price? I want to do the whole timing belt kit and a complete tune up and get rid of the green antifreeze and put back the original BMW blue one. Clean the whole engine bay and detail her. I just moved to NYC and sucks cuz i really have no garage or driveway to work on it so ill probably bring it to a shop or at least a reputable mechanic. I can do a lot of the work myself but when it comes to timing belt and stuff id rather have somebody do it that really knows what hes doing. She starts right up and drives like a dream. I got quoted $600 for timing belt replacement with parts ie. Waterpump,tensioner,thermostat and belt itself. The tune up ill do it myself.
    Attached Files

For $800, I think you did just fine! That interior looks well cared for and a weekend of detailing will really make the exterior shine.

$600 for a timing belt job in the NYC is probably about right. The parts will run about $110. Make sure the cam oil seal and seal housing O-ring gets replaced as part of that job. And make VERY sure that you have the cast camshaft and auxiliary shaft gears installed or plan on changing those as well.

Do a valve adjustment as part of your tune-up and replace the valve cover gasket and the 4 rocker shaft plugs. While the valve cover is off, make sure you have the "torx style" head bolts - if you have the "hex style" bolts plan on replacing them.

Check around for crumbling and cracked hoses and replace as necessary.

Get a copy of the Bentley manual - its the best money you will ever spend on the car.

Welcome to R3v - and enjoy your ride!

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
      For $800, I think you did just fine! That interior looks well cared for and a weekend of detailing will really make the exterior shine.

$600 for a timing belt job in the NYC is probably about right. The parts will run about $110. Make sure the cam oil seal and seal housing O-ring gets replaced as part of that job. And make VERY sure that you have the cast camshaft and auxiliary shaft gears installed or plan on changing those as well.

Do a valve adjustment as part of your tune-up and replace the valve cover gasket and the 4 rocker shaft plugs. While the valve cover is off, make sure you have the "torx style" head bolts - if you have the "hex style" bolts plan on replacing them.

Get a copy of the Bentley manual - its the best money you will ever spend on the car.

Thanks for the advice will do just that timing belt and valve adjustment
      Originally posted by 101 View Post

Thanks 101 for the advice will do just that timing belt and valve adjustment

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good, I think you were spot on with regards to the price.

Timing belt job isn't too hard. My advice is get yourself a Bentley. Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
          Looks good, I think you were spot on with regards to the price.

Timing belt job isn't too hard. My advice is get yourself a Bentley. Welcome to the forum.
          Thanks.. STIG I thought I overpaid or so my girl and my friend say lol they just see an old car they don't get it ..being my first and plan to have it as my daily I'll do all the maintenance stuff and tune up. .ac is not working but o well..I think 325 eta is a good starting point..in the future in might get a later 325 i with more hp but for now I think it's a good choice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X