Late e30 abs not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi my abs just died after a few jump starts and according to my research the early models have a relay that needs to be resouldered for it to work. But the late model do not and I'm wondering if there is a protecter relay on the late model e30 as the early model? If so, where is it?

It's a silver relay bolted just above the Glovebox catch, well on a right hand drive atleast :)

Comment

There can actually be a fuse on top of the relay, either the fuse or soldered connections inside acting as a fuse need to be looked at. Amazingly simple and obvious once you see it with your own eyes.
      Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
      Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
      Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post
        There can actually be a fuse on top of the relay, either the fuse or soldered connections inside acting as a fuse need to be looked at. Amazingly simple and obvious once you see it with your own eyes.

The thing is , is I'm trying to find the relay. On the early models it is on top of the abs computer where the dash is. But on the late models there isn't one. Or at least mine. Are the main relays right on the abs pump? There are 2 of them there. I opened up both if them and nothing. Looks like a regular relay with no protective cuircuit

Comment

On late cars the relay is on the pump.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            On late cars the relay is on the pump.
            is there anyway to fix them or i will need new relays?

Comment

There is a metal cased tall ABS relay under the drivers kick panel in my 87, right under the steering column. It is fused internally and can be soldered by removing the case. You can test any relay with a 9v and some alligator clips and a multimeter. I had the same issue when I got my car. I pulled a relay from a yard and it cost me $5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              sigpic
              1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
              I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
                There is a metal cased tall ABS relay under the drivers kick panel in my 87, right under the steering column. It is fused internally and can be soldered by removing the case. You can test any relay with a 9v and some alligator clips and a multimeter. I had the same issue when I got my car. I pulled a relay from a yard and it cost me $5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I have a 86 parts car as well and I did find one in that location but the late models are different.

Comment

to the top. need this figured out.

Comment

You want the '89 version, as it covers 89-91 ABS. No, there is no fuse
                    as there is in the overvoltage relay on the early cars.

Time to start troubleshooting...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Bump

Comment

bump

Comment

I'm wondering if there is a protecter relay on the late model e30
                          No, there isn't.

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Was this ever solved?

Comment

What TobyB said.

Late models (89 on) do not have the external relay under the dash.

The relay is integral with the ABS Hydraulic control unit, the relay does not have an internal fuse link.

So what are the symptoms ? Is the ABS light on or the ABS system appears to not be working ?

Comment

Working...
                              X