i think my odometer reads too slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think my odometer reads too slow

i know all about e30 clusters and the damn odo gears... but this situation is just kinda weird

Other than the odo gears themselves and the actual gear in the tranny/diff, is there anything else that can affect how fast or slow the odo reads (oh and besides rims/tires too)?

I ask because my odo is reading at about half of what it should read. So it'll turn 1 mile on the odo for ever 2 miles that i really travel.

I let the car sit for a week, when i noticed the odo wasn't reading. Then a few days later it started rolling, but at this half rate.

It did something similar in the past when i let the car sit for a while... except last time it took a few days and then started reading again at a normal rate.

Improperly sized tires would result in an odometer error, but nothing like that. The only causes of that magnitude of error would be:

o - bad speed sensor (would also affect the speedometer)
    o - bad odometer gears
    o - bad electronics in the speedometer

The most likely cause will be the second possibility, followed by the last.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by ummagawd View Post
      i know all about e30 clusters and the damn odo gears... but this situation is just kinda weird

Other than the odo gears themselves and the actual gear in the tranny/diff, is there anything else that can affect how fast or slow the odo reads (oh and besides rims/tires too)?

I ask because my odo is reading at about half of what it should read. So it'll turn 1 mile on the odo for ever 2 miles that i really travel.

I let the car sit for a week, when i noticed the odo wasn't reading. Then a few days later it started rolling, but at this half rate.

It did something similar in the past when i let the car sit for a while... except last time it took a few days and then started reading again at a normal rate.
      If the Wheel (rim AND tire) has a different diameter than the stock, then your odometer will read more or less mph than the one your traveling.

Had the same problem here and turned out it was the whole instrument cluster.

After a while i had no r3vs and no temp reading.
      Originally posted by scabzzzz
      Plastic bumpers eat a chrome dick!

Comment

*sigh*... okay so time for a new gauge cluster...

btw... the SI board wouldn't affect it right?

Comment

Originally posted by ummagawd View Post
          *sigh*... okay so time for a new gauge cluster...

btw... the SI board wouldn't affect it right?
          dunno what SI board is.
          Originally posted by scabzzzz
          Plastic bumpers eat a chrome dick!

Comment

Working...
          X