Any astrophysicists/astronomers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any astrophysicists/astronomers here?

Ok, so "dooms day" planetary alignments have been subject...since forever.

Starting in June, all the major planets and most of the dwarfs will actually be all on one face/side of the sun. Not quite the typical "planetary alignment" you can google search, but only a few dwarfs will be opposing. (best to use a modelling program to FF/RW)

Not that it matters much, but until 2045 we won't be able to view all the majors in the sky at once.

Bought a nice scope for the kids last Xmas, and in this month alone was able to view Venus, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus, even Neptune is a dot out there. Not powerful enough to see Pluto. As of now, Mercury is about to make the turn where we will all be in the "bright side of the Sun" and all be within the 180° plane looking down from Polaris.

This happens along the line of every 1.6 billion years in the solar sytem pattern.

Anyone else find this interesting, or am I totally geeking out?
    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 05-28-2018, 06:01 PM.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

nerd!

seriously, my brother is really into this. I have a buddy here in Houston with a monster telescope too. there is a really cool nebula in the sword of Orion's Belt that you could probably see with your scope.

saturn and Jupiter are pretty interesting to look at because of the rings and moons and stuff.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I have a 127mm Nutoinian refractor so it's not "great" but can clearly see the weather patterns on Jupiter, Galilean moons no sweat.

I would love to build an 11" Dobsonian style, but too busy building cars and raising kids ATM (have 4 kids ranging from FSU senior down to starting middle school). Nebulae is a little difficult as I am manually aiming it with an Equatorial mount.

Yes, I geek out. Half the time I wonder if y'all even follow half of the m20 or other engine stuff posted :P
      Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 05-21-2018, 11:38 PM.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:

Comment

It's a bit more than that, though. Seriously do a search engine on "planetary alignment" and you will find NOTHING about this!
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

More geek.

Anyone observing? Still cannot get over how far and fast the Galelean moons travel. Seeing 4 earths can fit in a storm on the big planet, and our Luna takes a month to orbit, these things are going around in days.

Rainy season here in thw tropics is making Saturn difficult, but apparently we have full face on view if it's rings.

Venus was quite boring in a 127mm, although looking forward to it cresting soon.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

I wasn't aware of this, I have a telescope that I've used to see the rings of Saturn before but not in great detail. I'll have to drag it out and see what I can scope tonight!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Jupiterian system is in full view (South by Southwest from here). Venus is in the clouds in FL right now, and too close to the horizon for clarity (North by Northwest from here). :(
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Dragged out the scope, clear skies, no sooner than looking through the viewfinder. BAM! Clouds... Jupiter is great, but Saturn was the goal. :/

Edit: Mars is bright but low on the horizon. A bit wavy with atmo conditions, albeit bright.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

FINALLY! Clouds are gone, full facial view of Saturn peeps! Rings are bright an clear in a 6"/127mm scope. Going in tight with a 4mm lense is a bit much, but WOW.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Mars and Deimos is a clear view!
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Is that why i saw venus and jupiter in the same sky the other night?
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                        Is that why i saw venus and jupiter in the same sky the other night?

Yup!
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

here are a couple vids illustrating all the planets on one side of the sun.
                          super rad!

Earthquake - Volcano watch around end of July - August - September ... Big watch for big activityUpdate - updated video with added information - https://yout...

Earthquake - Volcano watch around end of July - August - September ... Big watch for big activityUpdate - updated video with added information - https://yout...
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          '90 325i sedan daily driven
                          '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Are these signs of the apocalypse?
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Are these signs of the apocalypse?
                              i sure hope so!:popcorn:
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              '90 325i sedan daily driven
                              '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
                              X