No announcement yet.

M10 Turbo build up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where's the cancer? you dont want a big motor in a rotten car... believe me, i'm on my second shell. If you're really serious about a turbo M10, PM or IM me and i'll send you my number. I've done a lot of R&D and I'd be happy to share what i know.

Matt

Comment

The 2002 shell i'd like to get my hands on is rough under the skin.
      It has a brand new pain job, but the rockers are rusted away, the back edges of the fenders are rough, as are the back edges of the front fenders. Typicall 2002 rust spots. Fixing the rust wouldnt be a problem as I've already helped restore 2 2002's in my dads shop. The amount of labor and time involved might be more than the project is worth.
      I'm looking at this as a fun project just to fool around with not to drop massive amounts of cash. Finding "rust free" 2002 chassis are impossible in the NE, and anything remotely close to rust free demands PREMIUM prices. Often more than E30's.

We'll see, this is still in the brain stage, and I'll have to look into it more.

Thanks for the tips thus far guys!
      Chris
      Below the radar...

Comment

hehehe, use an e21 chassis :D
        my stock 81 weighed around 2,400lbs (& euro bumpers help lose some weight too 8) )
        ....u could strip the interior and other misc stuff and get the car in the 2,200 range.
        and w/ carbon fiber body panels, under 2,000lbs is possible (there's a e21 race car that weighs 2000lbs w/ a 10 point roll cage & 12 gallons of fuel)

not to mention e21's go for a lot less than 2002's (u could pick up a good running 320i for around 1.5k......the low-mileage ones in reallly good shape won't sell for more than 3k, w/ maybe a few rare exceptions).

hehehe, just trying to spread the e21 bug :)
        m10 engine build photogallery

Comment

ehhhh... the e21 body lines jsut dont flow well with me. Something about the ass end turns me off. Add to that the "odd" (imho) interior design and it just doesnt make me feel cozy or sporty.

besides, 2002's have special meanings to me. It was the year I graduated, and I was supposed to get a fully restored 2002 for graduation. Needless to say, due to a failure in the deal on my part, it didnt happen.
          Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by jbob
            hehehe, use an e21 chassis :D
            my stock 81 weighed around 2,400lbs (& euro bumpers help lose some weight too 8) )
            ....u could strip the interior and other misc stuff and get the car in the 2,200 range.
            and w/ carbon fiber body panels, under 2,000lbs is possible (there's a e21 race car that weighs 2000lbs w/ a 10 point roll cage & 12 gallons of fuel)

not to mention e21's go for a lot less than 2002's (u could pick up a good running 320i for around 1.5k......the low-mileage ones in reallly good shape won't sell for more than 3k, w/ maybe a few rare exceptions).

hehehe, just trying to spread the e21 bug :)
            sorry e21s are ugly pieces of shit

2002s have far more style

Comment

lol, crazy 02 people.....plus they're always stealing our getrag 245's & recaros :evil:
              yeah, i sorta agree w/ u on the rear end, especially the tail lights, which are kinda low-profile compared to the later 02's & e30's.
              but yeah, honestly, if i were starting a project & wanted THE classy bmw, the pre-74 02's (gotta have the round taillights 8) ) would be at the top of the list.

Comment

e21s?...ICK! The only thing they are useful for are a tranny and a pair of Recaros. Stick with the idea of using a roundie '02...it is the only way to go.

When I looked into doing a similar project awhile back I ran into similar problems with keeping it within a reasonable budget. The two biggest obstacles for me were engine management and the exhaust manifold. Everything else I would need for it to work in a 2002 (and on an M10) could be found for very reasonable prices. Engine managment can certainly be done with a little bit of work by using the MegaSquirt piggy backed on a turbo Volvo ECU (hey, it works). By swapping over to a 318i intake manifold, appropriate throttle body (of which there are some good options), and 318i wiring harness, you can really make some progress on the project. The exhaust manifold was an issue for me. A factory 2002 Turbo manifold is a good way to go, but new they are big $$$ and used they are difficult to find in useable condition and at a fair price. There is a company that I spoke with on several occasions that owns a mold for a nice log-style manifold, but again...$$$. Another more reasonably priced option is to weld up your own using weld els if you have the skill/facility to do it. Hell, you have be able to use a welder working on any '02 due to rust problems! Too bad you don't live closer to SoCal...I am still seeing shells in very workable condition. In fact, I just looked a nice one in a parts yard this past weekend.

Let me know if you decide to move foward with the project because I still have a bunch of material and web resources I accumlated when considering this project.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonH
                  Too bad you don't live closer to SoCal...I am still seeing shells in very workable condition. In fact, I just looked a nice one in a parts yard this past weekend.

Let me know if you decide to move foward with the project because I still have a bunch of material and web resources I accumlated when considering this project.
                  It sucks big time. Here in the NE, "rust free" meaning you cant yet see through the floor, often command 2k+
                  Welding up my own manifold wouldnt be that diffifcult, just very time consuming.
                  I know of a gentleman here in the NE who has the equivalent of 3 complete 2002 Turbos in NLA/NOS parts from BMW AG. :shock: But I couldnt justify bastardizing a 2002 Turbo part for my hack job project.

I'd love to get the info/sites you've accumulated for this project, just as more detailed info to read up on. I can PM you my e-mail address if that is easier?

Chris
                  Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                    I'd love to get the info/sites you've accumulated for this project, just as more detailed info to read up on. I can PM you my e-mail address if that is easier?
                    Chris, go ahead and PM me. Give me a little time to e-mail you so I can gather up this info (some of it is a little buried :oops: ).

Comment

Top End Performance (racetep.com) makes a log-style manifold for the m10.....and proturbo.fi (finland....but if u email them they speak english), makes almost equal length turbo headers (i got mine from them 8) ).
                      also, paul (320i.com) might be able to make u a duplicate turbo manifold like his (it's very compact & equal length, and, IMO, it has a better design than proturbo's or topend's)

and there is some company in oregon, i think, that makes custom log manifolds......they just need to get an exhaust flange (stahlheaders is one place that sells 'em for m10's), then u tac weld the output flange on the log & they do the rest of the dirty work.

Comment

I love e21s, I dont know why, other day jb325iS posted some pictures of one, and I almost thought about selling my car and getting one. That black one with deep dish BBS's, was just too damn beautiful.

Here are some links, I havent looked over all the replies so my bad if it was posted already but here is two links of turbocharged M10s.

1984 318i

1985 318i
                        95' M3.
                        90' 325i Turboed.
                        87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

M10 Turbo

Here is a few pix of my M10 turbo setup that i'm in the process of building this may be of some help to you
                          [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADRAo0TK6qBXePCysdvUJR*MW2zRATSo6MW08QLnwF9uAHTW HqFNKAt1j0pk2wVUHHfCw0*24BWrLqkqxxq2DxIDTaHbGayfBo Beo9Ao*QjdjYdpeLYsQ/261003%20(6).JPG?dc=4675444488763012508[/img]
                          [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAAzA4gT66iBXePCysdvUIw!wH**K2fg6Pf3wBecwVbYs34hD ec75SVD6P1ZrrB25qsHORqPHRhUPhi7aUPsQagyC0XYy!C5Xf1 L9PcvzxPCujs9NjI1*g/261003%20(1).JPG?dc=4675444488754931606[/img]
                          [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDMAn0VvDnc2Ru9REwlIPzItjG0h3!NmPfeOimVHpGXzyP1X doBaqhNPeCZZqob45FQOkCfTS8*U6asMHtiX9lyyYXwiWnA7MU zwE8B*e40Ru01G*jqQA/cropped%20(14).JPG?dc=4675444243243142949[/img]

Comment

awesome!

If your planning to use L-Jet I don't think it will work, it won't retard enough under boost. Some good cheap engine management systems can be bought now. I'm using the Link (a Kiwi Based company) system which is great. http://www.link-electro.co.nz/lem.html

You may want to lose the distributor and go for a full on direct fire ignition, will make spark advance/retard a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
                            X