No announcement yet.

N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a bare S52 block that weighed in at 108lbs. I haven't take apart the N52 all the way yet but I'm certain it's less. :)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Its kind of funny working on the N52. The block, internals, and some components are all very light. Aluminum fasteners, plastic intake manifold, etc.. But then you mount this heavy electric water pump and alternator... It was hard to do. Guess they haven't found a cheap and light alternative to electrical windings yet!

Comment

Had to visit the junkyard today and there was one laying in the dirt, complete with transmission. Didn't think to see how light it was.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

So I finally got an exhaust system I am happy with. I was unable to get the engine quiet enough with any of the aftermarket stuff I tried. The Dynomax turbo that I used on the m54 was still too loud with the N52. That muffler is one of the quietest aftermarkets, so I looked into OEM stuff, and found that the X3 has a similar muffler configuration like the e30. (Most of the other models tuck the muffler perpendicular to the length of the car, which would not work on an e30. Anyway, from my understanding, the X3 muffler flows pretty well, and it also fits quite nicely. Sounds great without too much rumble. Very similar to my e46 M3 without the rasp. So, in short, I used SS headers, 135i middle section with cats and resonator, and then the X3 rear muffler.

While I don't have a finalized tune yet, the car is running very strong. It roars in the upper rpm range, and has a very similar feel to the e46 m3. Unlike the previous M54, this engine just keeps building power as you wind it up, and loves it. Hoping for a little more mid range which a finalized tune should deliver, but all in all, a great match-up!

Comment

Sounds like it's picking up a bit just by adaptations.

Will work on the final tune this week, but it sounds awesome already - keeping in mind how light the N52 is for what you get.

Now, we need more N52 swaps! :)
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Every time there is a new post in this thread I want an N52 even more! It really seems like the perfect engine for this platform. Lightweight, powerful, cost effective, plentiful.

Now just need to get my car moving again so I can acquire parts and tear it back apart!
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I would like to see engine bay photos

Comment

Here are a few pics. Still need to finalize the wiring and a few other bits, but mostly complete.

I will do a write up of the whole swap while its still somewhat fresh in my head. What is the best way to create a fairly long thread on this forum?
                  Attached Files

Comment

this is a great model thread for motor swap writeups - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=383897

also following with interest.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Which engine cover is that? N54?

I want to do something with the magnesium cover (powdercoat? polish?), and hopefully fit the S54 throttles with a custom (or CSL) airbox. I just never liked the fake plastic covers on newer BMWs, but I like the fitment/execution of yours.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Cover is off of a 2011 528i. Guess they changed it at that point. Even has a roundel in it like the hood badge..lol.

Comment

I watched "inside the motor" and am again blown away about how the N52 makes the M54 look archaic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRhDKE8vKU

The motor will run without an intake manifold!

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                            I watched "inside the motor" and am again blown away about how the N52 makes the M54 look archaic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRhDKE8vKU

The motor will run without an intake manifold!
                            Whats radically different about the N52 other than the variable valve lift?

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
                              Whats radically different about the N52 other than the variable valve lift?
                              Just in the cylinder head:

-machined ports
                              -one piece head casting (stiffer, no separate front cover)
                              -super-simple and elegant VANOS. No more splines and cups. Huge range.
                              -hollow cam
                              -cam carrier
                              -variable lift

I'm probably missing a few things...

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                                Just in the cylinder head:

-machined ports
                                -one piece head casting (stiffer, no separate front cover)
                                -super-simple and elegant VANOS. No more splines and cups. Huge range.
                                -hollow cam
                                -cam carrier
                                -variable lift

I'm probably missing a few things...

Weight!!! Have you touched an n52 camshaft? They weigh ounces....the whole engine is like that. Super light, super responsive, and a DME that will make your head hurt.
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:
                                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                                X