M50 Swap Clutch Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 Swap Clutch Questions

I know its been asked a lot but i still don't know what clutch to run. Do i buy one thats for a m50b25 or do i buy one that says its for a m20? I have a stock m20 flywheel if that changes fitment things.

Also a link would be great to get to which one to buy. Thanks

you need a clutch that matches your flywheel. (there are different diameters)

There are multiple clutch disc and pressure plate diameters. E30 M20 cars typically came with 228mm discs and pressure plates. E36 cars came with either 228mm or 240mm discs and pressure plates. An "E36" 228mm clutch kit will bolt to an M20 clutch. Get the clutch kit that matches your flywheel's diameter, which is most likely the 228mm. All E36 24v cars stateside except the M3 and 328i came with 228mm clutches; not sure what they did in Aus.

The M20 transmission can fit both a 228mm and a 240mm pressure plate and you don't need to run different clutch slaves or throwout bearings or anything. Just use what comes in the kit.

FYI if you're running an M20 flywheel on an M50, you'll need to get the back machined to get it to not contact the oil pan.
    cars beep boop

Comment

FYI if you're running an M20 flywheel on an M50, you'll need to get the back machined to get it to not contact the oil pan.[/QUOTE]

How much does the back of the flywheel need to be machined? Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X