R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > 24V Engine Swaps > M54 & S54

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #31
Andrew325is
Mod Crazy
 
Andrew325is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 683
Shipped an M52TU adapter harness to Norway!
Andrew325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #32
Luke_M
Wrencher
 
Luke_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 250
Don't hesitate to buy from Andrew. Good product and customer support. Was pretty much plug and play!
Luke_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #33
bedmonds
Noobie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 20
Do you make a stock e30 harness? looking for brand new but don't want to wait the 6 weeks from germany.
bedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #34
Andrew325is
Mod Crazy
 
Andrew325is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedmonds View Post
Do you make a stock e30 harness? looking for brand new but don't want to wait the 6 weeks from germany.
I don't make complete engine harnesses, but I can. Honestly though if you want it built like factory with all new parts I couldn't make it for less than BMW wants for them and it might take me just as long if some of the connectors are special order. I'd call your dealer and ask them to expedite it. The additional fee usually isn't that much.
Andrew325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #35
Andrew325is
Mod Crazy
 
Andrew325is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 683
All wiring adapters now include new connectors and pins.

Last edited by Andrew325is; 01-23-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Andrew325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #36
Andrew325is
Mod Crazy
 
Andrew325is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 683
I've decided to keep the wiring adapters the same price. New connectors and pins are no longer $100 extra for the S54 adapter or $50 extra for the S50 adapter.
Andrew325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #37
gills
Wrencher
 
gills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 274
Send a message via AIM to gills
This is incredibly tempting. Is there a definitive thread/source to exactly what is needed for an S54 swap into an E30? Is the mechanical aspect of the swap more or less identical to S50/S52 swaps? The main difference is the engine management part of the equation I take it.

Is there an open source reflashing program for the the stock DME for the end user of sorts to fine tune after modifications or is it required to send the DME out every time?

Does disabling all those parameters on the stock ECU affect the state of tune the S54 is runs in? Like a pseudo limp mode of sorts?

Sorry if these are noobish questions, so if there is a source you can point me to and/or provide me some info I'd greatly appreciate it.
gills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #38
Andrew325is
Mod Crazy
 
Andrew325is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 683
There's no definitive source that I know about. Only because everyone's swap is a little different and a lot of things are common knowledge. Yeah, the mechanical aspect of the swap is pretty much identical to an S50 swap. I recommend using the S54's stock oil pan and pump if your engine still has it. There's at least one forum member who makes custom subframes to work with that. I used the E34 pan and Euro S50b30 pump (it's an M50 pump with S54 sprocket) because my engine had a dry sump pan on it and it was more cost effective going that route. It's still a good option though if you don't want to get a custom subframe. The engine should run properly as before if the flash is good. There's several forum members and tuners who do flashes. Some tuners offer you the ability to flash the ECU yourself using a cable they provide you with so you wouldn't need to send it to them if you want a new tune. There's also some DIY's. Search for MSS54 DIY with Google.

Last edited by Andrew325is; 02-28-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Andrew325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #39
strikealite72
Noobie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
You may have the answer to my problem... Car RHD 1994 E36 ...need wiring harness... to run SMG S54 converted to manual... can you help?
strikealite72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #40
nando
Moderator
 
nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bellingham, wa
Posts: 32,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
This is incredibly tempting. Is there a definitive thread/source to exactly what is needed for an S54 swap into an E30? Is the mechanical aspect of the swap more or less identical to S50/S52 swaps? The main difference is the engine management part of the equation I take it.

Is there an open source reflashing program for the the stock DME for the end user of sorts to fine tune after modifications or is it required to send the DME out every time?

Does disabling all those parameters on the stock ECU affect the state of tune the S54 is runs in? Like a pseudo limp mode of sorts?

Sorry if these are noobish questions, so if there is a source you can point me to and/or provide me some info I'd greatly appreciate it.
if you do it correctly, no, disabling parameters doesn't send the DME into limp mode. it actually does the opposite, prevents limp mode from turning on. Knowing what all the different little settings do is half the battle.
nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #41
gills
Wrencher
 
gills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 274
Send a message via AIM to gills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew325is View Post
There's no definitive source that I know about. Only because everyone's swap is a little different and a lot of things are common knowledge. I don't mind telling you exactly what I did though. Yeah, the mechanical aspect of the swap is pretty much identical to an S50 swap. I recommend using the S54's stock oil pan and pump if your engine still has it. There's at least one forum member who makes custom subframes to work with that. I used the E34 pan and Euro S50b30 pump (it's an M50 pump with S54 sprocket) because my engine had a dry sump pan on it and it was more cost effective going that route. It's still a good option though if you don't want to get a custom subframe. Your subframe will still need to be modified slightly for the headers to clear though and you need a custom front sway bar too. The engine should run properly as before if the flash is good. There's several forum members and tuners who do flashes. Some tuners offer you the ability to flash the ECU yourself using a cable they provide you with so you wouldn't need to send it to them if you want a new tune. There's also some DIY's. Search for MSS54 DIY with Google. I'll send you a pm later with more swap info when I have more time. I need to study neurophysiology today.
Thanks, Andrew. Whenever you get the time to respond to my PM that would be great as I know it was lengthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando
if you do it correctly, no, disabling parameters doesn't send the DME into limp mode. it actually does the opposite, prevents limp mode from turning on. Knowing what all the different little settings do is half the battle.
Already sent you a PM with a ton of questions.

But, to add to this thread instead of just in PM's, assuming that all mechanical aspects of the swap are done, all I would need to get the S54 started and running strongly in my car would be to send out my DME to nando for a reflash, wire in Andrew's P&P harness with the OEM S54 engine wiring harness, turn the same key I turn now to fire up my M20 and have 6 S54 cylinders of NA fury combusting harmoniously front of me?
gills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #42
Andrew325is
Mod Crazy
 
Andrew325is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
But, to add to this thread instead of just in PM's, assuming that all mechanical aspects of the swap are done, all I would need to get the S54 started and running strongly in my car would be to send out my DME to nando for a reflash, wire in Andrew's P&P harness with the OEM S54 engine wiring harness, turn the same key I turn now to fire up my M20 and have 6 S54 cylinders of NA fury combusting harmoniously front of me?
Yes sir.
Andrew325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #43
gills
Wrencher
 
gills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 274
Send a message via AIM to gills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew325is View Post
Yes sir.
man, almost seems too easy.

As for the oil pan situation, an E34 M50 oil pickup tube doesn't bolt onto the S54 pump like it does on the S50/S52?

I was going to go the E34 oil pan route because I was gifted one. And I was also under the impression that the majority of oil starvation issues was actually happening under hard braking on the S50/S52, which are rear sump pans, right? The E34 pan being a front sump would actually be beneficial is this regard. Then I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if some baffling is added.
gills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #44
Andrew325is
Mod Crazy
 
Andrew325is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
man, almost seems too easy.

As for the oil pan situation, an E34 M50 oil pickup tube doesn't bolt onto the S54 pump like it does on the S50/S52?

I was going to go the E34 oil pan route because I was gifted one. And I was also under the impression that the majority of oil starvation issues was actually happening under hard braking on the S50/S52, which are rear sump pans, right? The E34 pan being a front sump would actually be beneficial is this regard. Then I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if some baffling is added.
No, the S54 has a dual pickup pump. You'll need the single pickup pump from an M50/S50/M52/S52, but make sure you put the S54 pump's sprocket on the new pump to work with the chain (it has like 2 more teeth and it's solid vs the other one that has holes in it). Yeah, extra baffling wouldn't hurt. And a skid plate.
Andrew325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #45
Andrew325is
Mod Crazy
 
Andrew325is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 683
I updated the wiring harness adapters to have a more factory look. See original post for new version 3.
Andrew325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC