R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > M30 & Other Swaps

Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
Streichholzschächtelchen
E30 Mastermind

M90 headgasket on bored m30?

Ok, getting down to the nitty gritty on my build here, bored m30 to 94mm with VW pistons, need a proper head gasket. I know the s38 gasket will work but I'm cheap and don't wanna pay the ///M tax. M90 gaskets have 94.5mm diameter holes in em so I'm good there... would using an m90 gasket on my m30 work? Or would it allow water/oil to end up where it shouldn't? I heard you can't use m30 on m90 because the m30 gaskets are missing a few important holes that m90 uses, but m90 gasket should be good on an m30 I think, and not cost $200. Right?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Streichholzschächtelchen
E30 Mastermind

Aite spent atleast two days on the subject and first off, I like the idea of poking holes in my head and block like the m90, like good & tight did, and he used an s38 gasket, which puts the holes to use. There is a difference in coolant slots/holes between early b28, b30, and early m90 blocks, vs b32, b34, b35 and late m90 blocks. The early blocks used slots, the later ones used holes. Using a late, hole style gasket on a slotted bottom end leads too coolant in the crank case. I have a b35 bottom end and b35 top end, so I should be able to use a late, hole style m90 head gasket for my big bore b35. I don't have the desire to find out if the early m90 slotted gasket works on a late hole style engine. I'm assuming it won't at worst, and would restrict flow at best.

Tomorrow is half off day for all pick n pull yards, might as well get a b34 rear coolant neck while I'm at it, since forced induction is inevitable.

tldr

s38, late m90 work for me.

Also there are regular, and thick versions of the m90 gasket which is cool for lowering compression ratio, making up for a skimmed head, or in my case it just might be needed for valve clearance.