Best M20 powered E30 lap time at Buttonwillow CW13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smoove1 View Post
    ...I raise the question because I got in a bet with a friend to see who’s car could run a faster time. He will be driving a 1990 Honda EF with a stock d16, full interior, and a fully setup suspension. We will be running the same tires as Nitto is willing to supply us with tires. If I lose I committed to selling my car and buying a Honda. ...
    That’s a helluva wager. Good luck to you sir.

Sub’d for results of said wager. :up:

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
      I'm guessing they are bending their strut tubes/spindles? I can only get about 2.2* up front on my car with Spec E30 springs and GC Spec E30 plates before my spring perches bind on the strut tower.
      I use to work for the Spec E30 record holder for the track we'll be at. Lets just say his car was very bent to his advantage.

Originally posted by MPLFoster View Post
      That’s a helluva wager. Good luck to you sir.

Sub’d for results of said wager. :up:
      Thanks, I'm pretty sure there will be some youtube video about it. I'll post the link after it comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoove1 View Post
        I use to work for the Spec E30 record holder for the track we'll be at. Lets just say his car was very bent to his advantage.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I mean, struts can be bent on track too :). Bending struts and clearancing strut towers is definitely common practice. Many people bend rear trailing arms also, to get settings where they want them without having to use rear adjusters that are constantly moving around. We don't have, and don't plan on having an rear adjustment in our race car until going to some sort of DTM replica setup later on.
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by TheDirtyS54Thirty View Post
            Well as a reference I was putting in consistent 1:59s all day yesterday and finally dipped into a 158.8 with my s54 car. Car pretty much has everything done to it under sun at this point. I think my limiting factor is wheel/tire size as I did this on 225/45 nt01s. 245/40s here I come lol

Awesome, were there any other e30s running similar to your times?

Will be looking forward to seeing progress with your new wheel/tire setup!
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
              A lot of factors at play here but Toyo RR's are not significantly faster than DOT-R's, so I will say yes (without any knowledge of the track).
              I have driven the same car on the same track with DOT-R, RR's and RA1's and I can tell you there's a huge difference in grip levels between the three. When RR's were added to the Spec tire list, everyone was going faster - and about a good 2sec at Sebring (lap record dropped from a 2:40 to :37). RA1 has a 100 TW, RR's have 80 rating, but when you dig your fingernail into them, you can feel how soft they really are.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'll wait for my friend to chime in here, but the fast guys down here will run Z2's occasionally just for fun and lap times are barely slower, and the fall-off is much more gradual compared to an RR. Chunking is the issue.
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                  Awesome, were there any other e30s running similar to your times?

Will be looking forward to seeing progress with your new wheel/tire setup!
                  There was a father/son combo with a stripped out s52 track car running 2:04. Also just posted a new pic on the other thread :)
                  E30 S54

Comment

An S52 E30 should be running sub 2, easily, on street tires.

I ran consistent low 2:00 laps with my S52 E30 before I sold it: full interior, 225 RS3s, non-rebuilt 150k S52, stock 3.73lsd. Fastest I ran was 2:00.1, then I bought an S2000.

Also, I heard about this challenge on instagram and am totally rooting for the E30! Good luck!

Someone on this forum probably owns my car now ��
                    Last edited by robgoesvroom; 10-28-2017, 09:14 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I managed a high 1:40's in practice a couple weeks ago with no knowledge of the track. 1:50 flat in competition the next day was the best I could do. Data shows 1:43 predictive, so it's me, not the car lol! Turbo M52 swap.
                      sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

Comment

Super curious in the result of this. Goodluck!

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
                          I managed a high 1:40's in practice a couple weeks ago with no knowledge of the track. 1:50 flat in competition the next day was the best I could do. Data shows 1:43 predictive, so it's me, not the car lol! Turbo M52 swap.

God dayummmmm that's fast.
                          E30 S54

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
                            That seriously fast man. I'm currently stuck at 2:00.14 in my stock powered, stock weight E46 M3. Lap times are consistently at the 2 min mark with about a tenth of a second dropping off after my best lap. I promised myself I'd do a sub 2 before any additional mods.

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                            Super curious in the result of this. Goodluck!
                            Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

[QUOTE=Smoove1;4848378]That seriously fast man. I'm currently stuck at 2:00.14 in my stock powered, stock weight E46 M3. Lap times are consistently at the 2 min mark with about a tenth of a second dropping off after my best lap. I promised myself I'd do a sub 2 before any additional mods.

Unfortunately not fast enough when you are racing against monsters. 2:00 flat is great in a stock trim E46 M3. Just need to knock some rebound out and use more curb and you'll be right where you want to be!
                              sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

Comment

Is there a date set for this event?
                                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                                X