X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I didn't go race car on my car cus is hot now

Comment

Originally posted by GoldMember View Post
      I tried to pull the firewall connections apart yesterday and gave up thinking I was going to break something or just round off the flats of the hexes. Super tight. :(
      Thats crazy- in all reality the hose unions shouldn't be torqued down super tight. It just needs to be 'guten tight' to keep the seal of the o-rings on the hoses. Try some heat or PB.
      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
      '95 BMW e34 525i
      '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
      '92 Range Rover Classic
      '90 Range Rover Classic
      '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
      '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
      '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
      '67 Pontiac LeMans
      '24 Model T Depot Hack
      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Dis^^

Comment

The two adapter fittings (High & low side) to hook up the gauge manifold to measure
          and charge the system... I read somewhere that one of them has to be a 90° fitting
          due to clearance with the hood. My question is whether that is true on an M42 E30
          (1991 318i), and if so, which one has to be 90°?

I don't have the car with me right now.

I didn't see pictures of the charging ports (adapters) in the write up -
          and I have read most of the 288 posts in this thread!

Comment

It's the fitting on the line that runs along the fender to the dryer. You'll need an adaptor that is as low of profile as possible. Most 90s will not work as they stick out too much. One solution is to get the updated hardline from BMW that came in 93 cabrios. It has R-134a fittings already.

That said, I ended up with a stubby adaptor such as something like this on my car:

I can't guarantee it'll work, but it looks extremely similar to what's under my hood.

Comment

Just wondering I Seen some people using an adapter bracket for the ac. What's wrong with the stock ac bracket?

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                Just wondering I Seen some people using an adapter bracket for the ac. What's wrong with the stock ac bracket?
                The old bracket is not designed for the new style compressors, hence why people use the new brackets, to bolt a new style compressor on the m20.

Comment

Oh I have both style compressors but no brackets

Comment

Just pulled some lines from a junkyard car and was wondering what would you guys use to clean the lines from the inside?
                    I was thinking of using brake cleaner

Comment

Just pulled some lines from a junkyard car and was wondering what would you guys use to clean the lines from the inside?
                      I was thinking of using brake cleaner
                      Not sure what the best way would be but I just used purple power and then the air compressor to blow out the junk.
                      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                      '95 BMW e34 525i
                      '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                      '92 Range Rover Classic
                      '90 Range Rover Classic
                      '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                      '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                      '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                      '67 Pontiac LeMans
                      '24 Model T Depot Hack
                      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Just noticed that the 1st page says that early models will leak out the r134a because it's a non barrier hose or something. The lines I pulled are from a 85 318. Think I'll be alright?

Comment

Just noticed that the 1st page says that early models will leak out the r134a because it's a non barrier hose or something. The lines I pulled are from a 85 318. Think I'll be alright?
                          probably not
                          1991 318is ---230K - DD
                          1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                          so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

You'll be fine. You just have to top it off every couple years. It's a very slow leak, but still a leak, only a couple psi per year.

Comment

You can buy an a/c specific solvent for cleaning lines. Just plug each side with a towel after you pour some in and slosh it around. Something like this.

Autozone etc all should carry something like it.
                              Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

How many cans of R134a do you guys put into a freshly flushed system? I just put two cans in and my pressures seem high. 80ish on the low and peaks at 350 on the high during high RPM.

Comment

Working...
                                X