e46 m54 question, r3v is better than e46fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ya i know this isn't the best place for this but imo e46fanatics blows and i always get maybe one shitty guess of an answer there 3 weeks after the thread is started so I'm posting to almighty r3v. Thanks in advance.

Hey so i have some questions about swapping a non zhp m54b30 into my 2004 330ci zhp. My engine is on the way out and I'm getting blue smoke from the tail pipe, its been running bad for a while and makes bad noises pretty sure it needs a new engine and i don't have the downtime for a rebuild.

So my question is if i buy a non zhp m54b30 can i use the same dme which is a ms45.1 from my car ? from what i understand the standard 330ci uses an ms43 dme but i also read that m54b30s from 2003 on use the ms45.1?

so if i swap the non zhp motor in will it run w/out problem on my zhp dme? if it won't can i plug in the ms43 dme w/out problem ?

basically whats my best option here ? could i send my dme out for a flash to the non zhp software ? who does that ?

Thanks in advance any help would be great. i don't care at all about the 300 rpm loss or the 10 HP.

Here is said ZHP

i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

it should be MS45.1. It will run just fine with the ZHP tune - the only real difference are slightly more aggressive cams, which you could also just swap over and keep it all 'ZHP'. I think they both use the 2-stage DISA manifold.

You also want to keep your original harness and sensors - especially if the new motor was running MS43, it's not going to work with the MS45 harness since it uses widebands and MS43 uses narrowbands.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      it should be MS45.1. I can make you a stock ZHP file that will flash to your non-ZHP dme (the tune is a little different), it should run fine.
      So if i were to send you the ms45.1 dme from my zhp you could flash it to the software of a regular m54b30's tune? wouldn't be for about a month or so. I'm running this engine into the ground first. that would be great a zhp engine costs about 600$ more. can you discuss pricing? or in a PM?

Love this forum, its been an hour and boom response. Been posted on e46 fanatics for three weeks.
      i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I edited my post since you already have a ZHP - I'd just swap in the motor, keep all your sensors etc. and run it. I would consider swapping in the ZHP cams in your new motor too.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I edited my post since you already have a ZHP - I'd just swap in the motor, keep all your sensors etc. and run it. I would consider swapping in the ZHP cams in your new motor too.

So you're saying it will run fine on the current dme if I put in a standard m54b30? Yeah I've been thinking about swapping over to cams going to do that when I get down to it all. Haven't gotten a look at my cams I don't know if they are shit for not. Also haven't shopped for them. If they're cheap I'll grab some new used ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          i love bmws

Comment

cams shouldn't really have any wear unless something really bad happened with your oil.. it sounds like it's just burning too much oil?

But yes, either way it will run fine.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think they both use the 2-stage DISA manifold.

You also want to keep your original harness and sensors - especially if the new motor was running MS43, it's not going to work with the MS45 harness since it uses widebands and MS43 uses narrowbands.

So i've also been reading that 330 CI's from 03 on also use MS45.1 ? Any knowledge there? If that's true then do I still need to swap the harness and everything over because of the wideband. Sorry if I sound like an idiot I'm just coming to understanding about all this

i love bmws

Comment

cams shouldn't really have any wear unless something really bad happened with your oil.. it sounds like it's just burning too much oil?

But yes, either way it will run fine.

Oil is as Black as night and it burns way too much oil. Going through a 5 quart jug in about five weeks. It also makes some very undesirable noises

i love bmws

Comment

yes later 330i's used MS45 as well. if it already has the widebands, then no you don't have to swap the harnesses.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yes later 330i's used MS45 as well. if it already has the widebands, then no you don't have to swap the harnesses.
                    Thanks a bunch nando you answered everything i need good day sir. .
                    i love bmws

Comment

Working...
                    X