Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Control Tall RSMs Don't Fit Konis

Hey all-

For those of you who have used the tall RSMs from ground control, what rear shocks did you use?

I asked and they said they'd fit, but sure enough they don't. The RSMs bottom out on the shock.

I'm using the most common Koni in the rear- 802522SPORT.

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

I'm using Bilstein Sports (10mm), which fit as that's what I chose in my order, and am changing to Koni's in the near future - I emailed them and they said they will send out the internal removable bushing/washer/whatever-it-is to accommodate the Koni - $20.

Koni should have a 12mm stem washer/bushing
    Last edited by ak-; 09-30-2017, 02:49 PM.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
      I'm using Bilstein Sports (10mm), which fit as that's what I chose in my order, and am changing to Koni's in the near future - I emailed them and they said they will send out the internal removable bushing/washer/whatever-it-is to accommodate the Koni - $20.

Koni should have a 12mm stem washer/bushing
      The 802522 sports have a 10mm stem, the issue is the length of the stem. (I believe the race series has a 12mm stem) I posted a poor picture of it initially. I am wondering if there is a way to remove the dust shield even though it seems to be integrated with the shock.

10mm bushing on the 10mm Koni stem:

Comment

After some research I see there is a different style koni strut that is included in the higher end GC kits with tall RSMs, seen here

And after some more research, it looks like the 8041-1186 rear mustang koni strut will work because it doesn't have the attached metal dust shield. I am wondering if this mustang koni has a 10 or 12mm stem.

Free Shipping - Koni Sport Shocks and Struts with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Shocks and Struts at Summit Racing.

Other helpful threads:

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          After some research I see there is a different style koni strut that is included in the higher end GC kits with tall RSMs, seen here

And after some more research, it looks like the 8041-1186 rear mustang koni strut will work because it doesn't have the attached metal dust shield. I am wondering if this mustang koni has a 10 or 12mm stem.

Free Shipping - Koni Sport Shocks and Struts with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Shocks and Struts at Summit Racing.

Other helpful threads:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...65109&t=165109

I understand what you're saying now. I thought I was looking at the shock body (compressed), not a dust shield. The yellow color confused me.

Email Mr. Grimes. He has been extremely helpful with my questions about Koni's and has some knowledge of E30's. Replies fast during business hours.
          He can most likely find out the stem diameter.

Lee Grimes
          Automotive Product Manager
          KONI – an ITT company
          1961 International Way | Hebron, KY 41048 (USA)
          T +1 859 488 0316 | M + 1 859 630 9350 | lee.grimes@itt.com | www.koni-na.com

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Heres what mine ended up looking like before I installed them

shock_comparison by 2mAn

Mustang SA Konis & GC raised rear mounts
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I have these on my car, used them for 2 years? with custom valved Bilstein sports w/o any issues.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                I understand what you're saying now. I thought I was looking at the shock body (compressed), not a dust shield. The yellow color confused me.

Email Mr. Grimes. He has been extremely helpful with my questions about Koni's and has some knowledge of E30's. Replies fast during business hours.
                He can most likely find out the stem diameter.

Lee Grimes
                Automotive Product Manager
                KONI – an ITT company
                1961 International Way | Hebron, KY 41048 (USA)
                T +1 859 488 0316 | M + 1 859 630 9350 | lee.grimes@itt.com | www.koni-na.com
                Awesome, thank you. I will shoot him an email. I've been working with GC and they informed me that the 802522 Sports do not have a removable dust shield, and thusly will not work with the tall RSMs. They're trading me for regular RSMs.

The options for Konis that work with the tall RSMs are the mustang Konis I linked above (that 2man has pictured below) and the Konis that GC has custom made without the dust cover.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Heres what mine ended up looking like before I installed them

shock_comparison by 2mAn

Mustang SA Konis & GC raised rear mounts
                Thanks man! Did the mustang Konis have a 10 or 12mm stem?

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                I have these on my car, used them for 2 years? with custom valved Bilstein sports w/o any issues.
                Awesome, thank you. The rear E30 bilsteins don't have the big metal dust shield of the Konis making them directly compatible with the tall RSMs.

Comment

Mustang Konis (8041-1026 & -1186) are top adjust .: they have a 12mm stem

Shouldn't encounter any issues running them in the normal GC RSMs, as long as they're set up for the 12mm stem
                  Last edited by Northern; 10-04-2017, 11:41 AM.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                  X