No announcement yet.

M20B29 w/ Triple Webers into my '71 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool idea! awesome little '02 you have there too!

Comment

Alright, got a few updates...

ENGINE #1

After finding out that the first head is too far gone I've got another one stripped and ready to go to the machine shop for pressure testing before I start porting.

Stripped head, looks acceptable visually. Still within factory deck height specs (hasn't been shaved). Guess we'll see what the machine shop says.

Picked up a 323 valve cover (clean of any later eta/i supports/doohickeys) going to embrace my inner Tifosi and powder coat it wrinkle red a' La Ferrari Testorossa.

M10 race head on the bench .... mmmmm

Front subframe .... more on this later

ENGINE #2

Got the transmission on

As the 323 M20 ran a distributor the freeze plug simply needs to be removed from later M20's and the distributor pops right in.

I'll reply to questions a little later.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

definition of staying classy!

love this build guys. and haters can suck it, IE kicks ass
        sigpic

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201774

Comment

That valve cover looks a hell of a lot like one i recently sold to a guy that worked at Ireland Eng. Hmmmm.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

bleh red engine cover? its not a ferarri. german machines look best in black

Comment

A sucked orange - you are right, but the red touch under the hood is a personal touch.

LJ851 - Thank you again for the cover, I was worried it would be a big headache!
              Last edited by SkiFree; 06-23-2011, 11:06 PM.
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by pizzaman View Post
                Awesome. Was that red/yellow flared car bought from Daniel in San Jose?
                It was the one up that way. the car was originally built with a bunch of IE stuff. As it sits it just needs a motor and some other things before heading out for a VARA weekend.

Brandon12V - I am a sponge here (learning as much as I can from Jeremy and Jeff). Everyone at IE does a little bit of everything. My daily routine varies from answering calls to making strut braces.

bmwstephen - We've got a set of manifolds en route. Although for mine I might put my limited Solidworks ability to the test and see what happens.....
                Last edited by SkiFree; 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Engine/car #1

suspension.... Got the assorted bolts and washers back from the platers.

bling shot of all things shiny going on front subframe.

Ed at Groma seam welded my control arms. On 02 race cars they box these in, but this is more than enough for my build.

refreshed steering box

this is after a good soak in a concoction of denatured alcohol and purple power

Engine/Car #2

Finally some shots of car #2!

EXTRA goodies.

This is an awesome S14 powered 2800 Groma built for John of SoCalVintageBMW.com

Last edited by SkiFree; 06-23-2011, 11:07 PM.
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Jealous of your tires!!! I cant find 13's ANYWHERE. Car looks good! So does that e9..

Comment

^^Check with Groma, they've been on the car for a while, not sure if they're discontinued.

Engine 2/GROMA

Engine is in. On this set of mounts they are sitting the engine as far back and as low as possible. Reason being the plan is to run AC using the M20 stock compressor and the rest a Groma special.

Modifying the firewall will be necessary....

Passenger side mount

Suspension progress
                      running a set of shortened E30 strut housings and IE coil over components.

Finished stance
                      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I like where this is going!
                        Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Happy 4th! Not much done, been a little busy.

What awaits us inside?!....

I spy some coolant....

and the before a bath shot......

Followed by the after the bath. Cleaning out the area under the oil level sensor was a pain but obviously necessary.

ready to start testing a new oil pan baffle as soon as we get some dimensions finalized.
                          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Some updates

Engine 2/Groma car

Got in a set of manifolds from Rowland Manifolds in South Africa. They appear to be a single casting of the center ports (oil return hole) and simply sent in triplicate. This means that the upper left hand stud for each manifold will need to be the longer style to clear the added depth. They are a little rough around the edges for my liking.

Test fit on the car

Looks like there will be some clearance issues with the 323 distributor. Might be a good excuse to go with a direct fire ignition system.

Couldn't resist putting a carb on to get an idea of the future visual bombardment.

DOWN SIDE: The engine is sitting so low the webers will have no chance of clearing the brake booster (even the small O.D. Tii booster as pictured). As the idea is to make this car the ultimate '02 road rally car, think Targa California, removing the booster is not an option. So Mano's idea is to run a remote booster (with the intention of making it "simple" to replicate in the future.)

UPSIDE: with a remote booster the engine bay will have a nice "shaved" look to emphasize the webers.
                            Last edited by SkiFree; 07-12-2011, 11:42 PM.
                            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Engine 1: My car (Ireland Engineering)

After finding out that the existing manifolds weren't quite what I was hoping for I'm going to attempt to make a new set of manifolds using my limited knowledge of Solid Works, Jeff & Jeremy's experience, and a measuring caliper.

Project briefing: M20 - DCOE type manifold

cast vs. CNC machined --- Cast parts have a higher up front cost dues to the cost of making a mold but residual sets will be much less than if machined. CNC machined has a lower up front cost but that cost stays the same for residual parts. RESULT: This 3 piece manifold will not be made in any great numbers to justify making a mold so CNC'ing is my best option.

Desirable attributes.
                              DCOE type flange to fit 40 DCOE with enough material to port to a 45 for a race applications. Most individual throttle bodies use the DCOE flange so including injector ports and vacum ports is a must. Those (like me) running carbs will want to run a top mount linkage setup so threaded holes for heim joints to hold the linkage rod are a must.

If anybody else has any input on what would should be included please let me know.

Excited as this is my first project of this magnitude.

Engine update:

Head back from machine shop. Ready for some porting, not that it needs much.

Took 1 rod end apart to find that the rod bearings were wore down to the copper. The crank has a lot of scoring and rather than turn it this will be a good excuse to go stroker!
                              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Wow this was way cool until now.......now I'm not sure what to say because a triple weber stroker is way beyond cool....LOL! Nice work man! Keep it going! I'm sure I am one of many waiting in anticipation for these to be pounding concrete soon!!

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention my 2 cents for the manifold project....I feel that the manifolds would look much better with an up-swept look instead of sticking straight out of the head. The look of things would flow a bit better in my opinion. But the picture you have up might be throwing it off. I could be wrong. A different view of it might be better to really judge if my idea is reasonable or not.
                                Last edited by drutt23; 07-13-2011, 12:23 AM.
                                1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
                                sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
                                The Build...

Comment

Working...
                                X